Breath-Freshing Biscuits for Dogs

Local time
10:49 AM
And might I add for humans? What stops us from having these treats together? I believe I am going to make these and will certainly have a bite. Can this be in the carrot competition Classic33?
IMG_9928.jpg

3/4 c. minced parsley leaves
1/4 grated carrot
1 Tbsp. safflower oil
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. corn flour or finely grated corn meal
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. water

1. Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl mix together parsley, carrot and oil

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours and baking powder. Add parsley mixture and work until flour mixture looks like course crumbs. Add water, mix and knead with hands until dough comes together in a smooth ball.

3. On a lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a bone shaped cookie cutter, cut out biscuits, re-rolling, scraping as necessary. Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake 20 min (for softer); 30 min for harder biscuits. Keep refrigerated!!!

http://veganaustinmama.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-crazy-vegan-dogs-dog-treat-recipe.html

You will have to let us know how they taste. I wonder who will like them more you or the dog? They do sound quite good though.

You will have to let us know how they taste. I wonder who will like them more you or the dog? They do sound quite good though.

Funny thing is the first time I made treats for my dogs, my husband helped himself to some. So you never know. It might turn out to be a family treat.

Last edited:
I really should give these a try. My Chihuahua's breath is absolutely horrific. I can't even stand to be near her face and I can't seem to rid of the smell. I know it's not a great sign when a dog has terrible oral hygiene. I have been trying out different treats and such, so I'll definitely be giving this a go. It might work out better if they are homemade versus something that has been sitting in a bag at the grocery store.

Thanks for sharing this! My little pug has bad breath and he won't eat all the breath freshening chew sticks available in the market. I will try this. May be he will like it!

It's a great thing that dogs can't read, otherwise my four would be hounding (ha-ha) me for these! These look and sound like they'd be a crowd pleaser among all of the pups in my family, so I'm definitely going to pick up the ingredients and give them a try this week! While I'm at it, and since it's getting hot here, I may end up make these simple frozen breath treats for the pack:

Homemade-Dog-Breath-Freshener-1024x769.jpg

• 6 oz container of plain yogurt (no sweeteners!)
  • a large pinch of fresh mint leaves
  • a large pinch of fresh parsley
  1. Add plain yogurt, parsley and mint leaves to a food processor (or comparable). Puree.
  2. Divide the mixture evenly in an ice tray and freeze until solid.
Yum!!

Source: https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/homemade-doggie-breath-freshener-treats/

My parents took their Labrador to the vets for a check up and were told that the well known dental sticks available in supermarkets was as calorific as a mars bar ,so something you make that you can see the ingredients is a total bonus

It's a great thing that dogs can't read, otherwise my four would be hounding (ha-ha) me for these! These look and sound like they'd be a crowd pleaser among all of the pups in my family, so I'm definitely going to pick up the ingredients and give them a try this week! While I'm at it, and since it's getting hot here, I may end up make these simple frozen breath treats for the pack:

Homemade-Dog-Breath-Freshener-1024x769.jpg

• 6 oz container of plain yogurt (no sweeteners!)
  • a large pinch of fresh mint leaves
  • a large pinch of fresh parsley
  1. Add plain yogurt, parsley and mint leaves to a food processor (or comparable). Puree.
  2. Divide the mixture evenly in an ice tray and freeze until solid.
Yum!!

Source: https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/homemade-doggie-breath-freshener-treats/

I'll have to try these! My greyhound has breath that would even make a gas mask run for cover. At the moment he has a raw carrot every night to clean his teeth and freshen his breath but he really needs something else after breakfast. He's used to a couple of spoons of fresh yoghurt with this dinner; I've always got plenty in the fridge (make my own) and I've got mint and parsley growing on the window sill.

And might I add for humans? What stops us from having these treats together? I believe I am going to make these and will certainly have a bite. Can this be in the carrot competition Classic33?

3/4 c. minced parsley leaves
1/4 grated carrot
1 Tbsp. safflower oil
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. corn flour or finely grated corn meal
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. water

1. Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl mix together parsley, carrot and oil

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours and baking powder. Add parsley mixture and work until flour mixture looks like course crumbs. Add water, mix and knead with hands until dough comes together in a smooth ball.

3. On a lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a bone shaped cookie cutter, cut out biscuits, re-rolling, scraping as necessary. Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake 20 min (for softer); 30 min for harder biscuits. Keep refrigerated!!!

http://veganaustinmama.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-crazy-vegan-dogs-dog-treat-recipe.html

Will give these a go too. I'm always eating biscuits and trying to ignore those "please, Mummy" eyes'

I'll have to try these! My greyhound has breath that would even make a gas mask run for cover. At the moment he has a raw carrot every night to clean his teeth and freshen his breath but he really needs something else after breakfast. He's used to a couple of spoons of fresh yoghurt with this dinner; I've always got plenty in the fridge (make my own) and I've got mint and parsley growing on the window sill.
This is just a reminder of all the things I plan on making and never do. You make your own yogurt? I am impress. Then you have your little garden? Even more wonderful.

This thread is very interesting to me. One of our dogs has bad breath but not that ordinary odor, it is so yucky like a decaying gum. We are applying betadine every day to his gums and also breath freshener spray that somehow works. Now if that biscuit is truly effective against bad breath then probably we have to make an effort to bake that. But I don't know what safflower oil is, the first time I've come across. With the rest of the ingredients, they are available here except for that safflower oil.

This thread is very interesting to me. One of our dogs has bad breath but not that ordinary odor, it is so yucky like a decaying gum. We are applying betadine every day to his gums and also breath freshener spray that somehow works. Now if that biscuit is truly effective against bad breath then probably we have to make an effort to bake that. But I don't know what safflower oil is, the first time I've come across. With the rest of the ingredients, they are available here except for that safflower oil.
I didn't know what safflower oil was either, but I googled it and looked on the webmd.com site. I think I'll pass on safflower oil, thank you, and use something else.

Back
Top Bottom