Brisket

Local time
12:03 PM
My husband is on a mission. He's obsessed with mastering Texas Brisket. So far, not so much luck. Here's what he usually does:

He has a Traeger Wood Pellet Grill/Smoker. After applying his rub of choice, he smokes the brisket at a low temperature, usually overnight. The grill normally runs out of pellets halfway through the night then cools itself down, so the smoking part seems to be successful. He always ends up with the nice pink around the edges.

He has tried to then slow cook the roast to the desired temperature on the grill and in our oven. It always gets the great brisket taste, but the texture is all wrong. Yesterday was his latest attempt. He put it in the oven at 225 for many hours and cooked it to precisely 221 (not 220, not 222, he was very specific, I'm not sure why). Then, he let it rest for about 35/40 minutes. The meat still fell apart and looked more like a pot roast than a brisket.

Any suggestions? While I don't mind brisket or even being his taste-tester, I sure would like to see him master the skill. It's can get a bit pricy buying all those briskets!

I should mention, last summer we started an annual bbq cookoff with a bunch of our friends. Everyone who participated had to make chicken, ribs, and brisket. His ribs won, chicken came in close second, but his brisket failed and so he is set on winning this year!

Back
Top Bottom