Broguiere's Dairy Reopens.

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
3:17 AM
Broguiere's.
One of my earliest childhood memories were the drive up dairies and my mom hosting a neighborhood tea party for the Queen's Coronation on TV.
Only one Drive up Dairy left in the Southern Calif area that I know of. It survived because of the outstanding milks/creams (plural), eggnog and chocolate milk.

o.jpg

Fresh squeezed Orange Juice.
borguieres-dairy-montebello-2019.jpg

The in house made Egg Nog is excellent.
IMG_6005.jpg

Dates way back and has gone full circle in a few ways. Still uses the Glass Milk bottles and is drive up.
The family still bottles their products right there at the store. The bottles are as big a hit as the quality of their products.

The current old man, the great, great grandson of the real old man that started the business, Broguiere had enough with the health inspectors and taxes and govt hassles with petty ordinances and closed the place earlier this year. It all started when they made him move his herd off site, but that was a quality of life issue for the local residents.
Well,, now he's re-opened it and everyone is relieved.

Americans over-sugar many of their foods. European chocolates seem to have more flavor with less sugar may be a good example but just my humble opinion.
Broguiere's chocolate milk has that nice european smooth flavor as does their eggnog without that sugar slap in the taste buds.

I remember they had a hall of shame bulletin board with everyone's name that passed a bad check there. You could read it from 20 meters back. Out of character for such a warm hearted family but as the most recent generation of kids are assuming the business that's gone.

505 S Maple Ave
Montebello, CA. USA

Last edited:
Broguiere's.
One of my earliest childhood memories were the drive up dairies and my mom hosting a neighborhood tea party for the Queen's Coronation on TV.
Only one Drive up Dairy left in the Southern Calif area that I know of. It survived because of the outstanding milks/creams (plural), eggnog and chocolate milk.

View attachment 34349
Fresh squeezed Orange Juice.
View attachment 34350

The in house made Egg Nog is excellent.
View attachment 34351

Dates way back and has gone full circle in a few ways. Still uses the Glass Milk bottles and is drive up.
The family still bottles their products right there at the store. The bottles are as big a hit as the quality of their products.

The current old man, the great, great grandson of the real old man that started the business, Broguiere had enough with the health inspectors and taxes and govt hassles with petty ordinances and closed the place earlier this year. It all started when they made him move his herd off site, but that was a quality of life issue for the local residents.
Well,, now he's re-opened it and everyone is relieved.

Americans over-sugar many of their foods. European chocolates seem to have more flavor with less sugar may be a good example but just my humble opinion.
Broguiere's chocolate milk has that nice european smooth flavor as does their eggnog without that sugar slap in the taste buds.

I remember they had a hall of shame bulletin board with everyone's name that passed a bad check there. You could read it from 20 meters back. Out of character for such a warm hearted family but as the most recent generation of kids are assuming the business that's gone.

505 S Maple Ave
Montebello, CA. USA

How interesting - I didn't even know such places existed in the USA.

How interesting - I didn't even know such places existed in the USA.
Yep, we have a similar place here. We always get their nog at Christmas, even though it's about 6X the price of the big dairy nogs. Oddly, I can't remember their name at the moment.

We do have another place called Young's, it's basically a dairy at the heart of it, but they've expanded into a full "family experience," with a cafe, a petting zoo, wagon rides, that sort of thing, but their dairy items are still good.

Yep, we have a similar place here. We always get their nog at Christmas, even though it's about 6X the price of the big dairy nogs. Oddly, I can't remember their name at the moment.

We do have another place called Young's, it's basically a dairy at the heart of it, but they've expanded into a full "family experience," with a cafe, a petting zoo, wagon rides, that sort of thing, but their dairy items are still good.

We still have a couple working farms out here.
They too have gone family attraction. Underwood’s has both a farm with store and a children’s farm.

33B7A6FB-6CA1-4B43-A636-479D42BCD76C.jpeg

Cut down your own Christmas tree, wander out to the fields and pick a pumpkin and fresh Underwood’s Corn.

Underwood’s corn is off the chain excellent. Just talks to ya sitting there on the farm wagon. No need for butter or salt just naturally sweet and tasty.
You can blanch it and it stores away in the freezer nicely.
I remember in the 50’s a lot of moms named Blanch,,,, and Trixie. Dunno if you can Trixie corn.

Underwoods farm’s fresh-picked store is my favorite. Especially so with the wife. The produce is still on the field cart hooked to the tractor. They pull it right into the store.

Hand picked tomatoes, though not pretty they hold a flavor blast.
I remember my mother cussing out the “University of Davis” tasteless red tomatoes. It’s what got me started on Handpicked Best Boys or Better Boys.

Marinated tomatoes are amazing if you use the right tomato:
09FFD645-00AA-4D85-8BCF-37886C1F6454.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom