Ingredients
3 TB dark brown sugar
2 TB orange juice
1 TB unsalted butter
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
3 cups steamed cubed/sliced beets
Directions
Combine brown sugar, orange juice, butter, salt and pepper in a large nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat until the sugar and butter are melted and starting to bubble. Stir in beets and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the beets are coated with glaze, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve hot or warm.

Recipe from EatingWell.com

The CookingBites recipe challenge: brown sugar

Serve cold too I think? Looks good. My only problem (personally) is that beetroot is already rather sweet.
I served these room temp, which was fine, though the recipe says to serve hot or warm. MrsT did comment and say she’d prefer them warm.

Serve cold too I think? Looks good. My only problem (personally) is that beetroot is already rather sweet.

That’s my perspective in general, too. I barely add sugar when I pickle beets. But, I’m curious about this: I’ll try something if I know what I’m getting into, so I have questions. Is this a dessert or more of a funky savory thing? It seems like you’ve prepared sort of much prettier candied yams.

That’s my perspective in general, too. I barely add sugar when I pickle beets. But, I’m curious about this: I’ll try something if I know what I’m getting into, so I have questions. Is this a dessert or more of a funky savory thing? It seems like you’ve prepared sort of much prettier candied yams.
It’s definitely a savory side dish - think along the lines of glazed carrots (another naturally sweet-ish vegetable).

Back
Top Bottom