Brown Sugar?

ABC123

Veteran
Local time
12:12 PM
I use brown sugar often. Recently, my husband had bought it. He came home with light brown sugar and said that I did not tell him which to get. I did not give it a thought when I asked him to go get it nor have I thought about.it. What is the difference between dark and light brown sugar? How are they used differently?

The only real difference between light and dark brown (soft) sugar is the amount of molasses that has been extracted from it (assuming it is cane sugar).
Dark brown soft sugar will have a more toffee/molasses flavour to it than light brown soft sugar.
Light brown sugar is simply closer to being white sugar than dark brown is. End of story is it is cane sugar.

If it is not cane sugar and it is beet sugar, then it is a different matter altogether. Beet sugar has colouring (often ironically molasses :o_o:) added to it to make it brown because beet sugar is usually white after it has been extracted from the beets.

Brown sugar is muchmore better than refined white sugar,brown sugar is said as nice and safe on how it process unlike whiter sugar.

oh sorry,..for adding some,i bet that sugar cane is the commonly used in making sugar,it has also many benefits...

oh sorry,..for adding some,i bet that sugar cane is the commonly used in making sugar,it has also many benefits...
You would be surprised how often beet sugar is used nowadays. Beet sugar is much cheaper because it can be grown in a temperate environment. Cane sugar needs more of a tropical environment, thus restricting its growing area and increasing transport costs (for countries such as Europe and USA/Canada etc).

many some is predictable depending where country it is :) ,here is commonly use sugar cane because beet root is such a highly expensive inhere,depending how it exported.

I really don't think there is much difference when cooking if you use light or dark brown sugar except in the color of the food being cooked. I have noticed that when I use light brown sugar my oatmeal cookies are a lighter brown when done than the dark brown sugar cookies.

Brown sugar, the commercial product, is actually white sugar with molasses added. Only raw sugar is brown naturally. What most people think of as brown sugar is the stuff that clumps together because of its moisture content. The scientific explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

There's actually a lot more to it than people realize.

I wonder if it costs manufacters more money to take white sugar and add molasses to it, or to extract molasses from natural sugar? My guess is that it is much more cost effective to tame white processed sugar and just add molasses to it for mass production. I really get annoyed at all of the processing I find out goes on, and it makes me just want to spend the extra money and just shop at natural food stores. I want to be able to eat real food!

I wonder if it costs manufacters more money to take white sugar and add molasses to it, or to extract molasses from natural sugar? My guess is that it is much more cost effective to tame white processed sugar and just add molasses to it for mass production. I really get annoyed at all of the processing I find out goes on, and it makes me just want to spend the extra money and just shop at natural food stores. I want to be able to eat real food!
You should look at what is involved in getting beet sugar out of beets!

Brown sugar, the commercial product, is actually white sugar with molasses added. Only raw sugar is brown naturally. What most people think of as brown sugar is the stuff that clumps together because of its moisture content. The scientific explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

There's actually a lot more to it than people realize.
That is one particular type of brown sugar made for a specific purpose, for the crystals. The same is not true for light brown soft sugar. In the uk at least we have a few more versions of sugar and anything called light brown sugar is usually light brown soft sugar and is of cane sugar origin and is one of the stages of refining came sugar and is on its way to being white sugar but had never yet been white sugar.

We really need the op to clarify what brown sugar and light brown sugar actually are. However given she asked what the difference between light brown and dark brown sugar is, I have aimed she is referring to soft sugar not crystallised sugar.

This it's an interesting read
www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/whats-the-difference-between-light-and-dark-b.html
And is what I believe she is referring to. Not the sugar in the wiki article which in the uk is referred to as coffee sugar for some reason!

I make my own, but I make just enough to be used in a recipe & no more. To keep it from becoming hard as a rock! :wink: :stop:

We always use brown sugar at home for our cooking and baking needs if the recipes calls for it. As they said brown sugar is healthier to use compared to white sugar which had been processed already.

I usually used brown sugar. It sweetness is quite more mangeable than white beet sugar. I also have tried mascuvado sugar a little bit browner and stronger in taste. In my household we usually used this brown sugar because it is more affordable than its white counterpart.

Back
Top Bottom