Recipe Buche de Noel

medtran49, it's absolutely beautiful. I had to reread the steps over and over to make myself believe it was all edible. I have no idea why I would think real mushrooms and pinecones would be on a cake. Your artistry is amazing!
Thank you. Frankly, it came out way better than I expected since I had never worked with molded fondant or made meringue mushrooms before.

aviary-image-1608338072029.jpeg

Just wanted to post my yule log for this year, had to make one last minute due to covid changing our plans so made this in about an hour.

It has chocolate buttercream filling, chocolate roulade sponge and a whipped ganache coating.

View attachment 53724

Just wanted to post my yule log for this year, had to make one last minute due to covid changing our plans so made this in about an hour.

It has chocolate buttercream filling, chocolate roulade sponge and a whipped ganache coating.

Gorgeous. And it only took you an hour?

Gorgeous. And it only took you an hour?
Yeah, its actually very easy to do. A lot of whisking though. The sponge is a whisked egg sponge which takes about 15 minutes to make and only 4 to cook! The buttercream is 4 or 5 ingredients whisked together (all in one) and the ganache is just chocolate and hot cream whisked together.

If you know how to do it, anyone can make it just as quickly!

Yeah, its actually very easy to do. A lot of whisking though. The sponge is a whisked egg sponge which takes about 15 minutes to make and only 4 to cook! The buttercream is 4 or 5 ingredients whisked together (all in one) and the ganache is just chocolate and hot cream whisked together.

If you know how to do it, anyone can make it just as quickly!

I'm not really a cake maker (no sweet tooth) but have made sponges. How come its only 4 mins to cook? Is that because there is no flour in it?

I'm not really a cake maker (no sweet tooth) but have made sponges. How come its only 4 mins to cook? Is that because there is no flour in it?
It contains a small amount of flour but it is poured/spread onto a baking tray at about 0.5cm - 1cm thick and baked at a really high temperature to cook it quickly and prevent it drying out. So its baked as a large thin rectangle, filled and then rolled up like a swiss roll

Reactions: mjd
It contains a small amount of flour but it is poured/spread onto a baking tray at about 0.5cm - 1cm thick and baked at a really high temperature to cook it quickly and prevent it drying out. So its baked as a large thin rectangle, filled and then rolled up like a swiss roll

Knowing me it would get burnt at the edges! My oven really needs replacing.

Reactions: mjd
View attachment 53724

That's beautiful. Would you consider posting the recipe? It sounds like something I could probably manage. I'm just a home cook but I love trying new recipes and learning new things. Are you a professional photographer? Your photos are amazing.

That's beautiful. Would you consider posting the recipe? It sounds like something I could probably manage. I'm just a home cook but I love trying new recipes and learning new things. Are you a professional photographer? Your photos are amazi..
Haha definitely NOT a professional! I just have good light in the kitchen. I will post the recipe, give me a minute to find it.

Last edited:
Video tutorial here
View attachment 53751
Recipe:

Roulade Sponge -
2 eggs
60g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
80g (3/4 cup) plain flour
20g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder

Chocolate Buttercream -
230g (1 cup) butter
420g (3 1/2 cups) icing/powdered sugar
45g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk

Ganache -
300g (2 cups) dark or milk chocolate
300ml (2 cups) double/heavy cream

Method:

1. Roulade sponge - whisk sugar and eggs in a bowl over lightly simmering water until triple in volume and the ribbon stage is achieved.
2. Sieve in half of the flour and cocoa powder and fold in
3. Sieve remaining flour and cocoa powder in and fold through
4. Spread onto a lined baking sheet to thickness of about 0.5 cm to 1cm.
5. Bake for 4 minutes at 220c
6. Cover with baking paper and leave to cool
7. Buttercream - whisk all ingredients together
8. Ganache - heat cream until just beginning to steam and pour over chocolate.
9. Leave for 5 minutes and then whisk together.
10. Leave ganache to cool until thickened but not set then whisk until it looks like chocolate mousse, about 10 minutes
11. Trim sponge to a rectangle. Assemble by spreading or piping buttercream over sponge.
12. Roll up into a swiss roll and place on presentation board.
13. Pipe or spread ganache over and then run a fork over to give the effect of tree bark.
14. Decorate with christmas bits and pieces.
What about the pine cones?

Since we'll be having our real Christmas later this week with our girls, I started on our Buche de Noel today. This thread will be a work in progress. Today, molded fondant decorations so they'll have time to dry. The pine cone halves will be put together to make 3D pine cones.

I used purchased Wilton fondant and this mold set. Cornstarch was used for dust the mold for the holly leaves and berries, and cocoa powder was used to dust the molds for the pine cones. I only used the large holly leaves and berries mold, but used all 3 sizes of the pine cone mold.

Make sure you dust the molds very well, shaking out any excess, then make sure to thoroughly fill with fondant (use a small piece of red to work into the berries, then remove excess before putting the green in), roll across it with a large wooden dowel, using a sharp knife laid flat across the mold to remove excess. Wipe the knife off often to keep edge clean. Try not to overfill too much. If there's not much overage, you can wipe most of it away with just your fingers. Starting at 1 end, gently bend the mold to start popping out your decoration. They should come out fairly easily. Oh, if fondant is sticking to your fingers, rub some of the cornstarch or cocoa powder onto your fingers.

If you want your decorations to be fairly hard, lay them out on a flat surface, place somewhere safe like a cupboard and let them air dry for a couple of days, then store in a cardboard box. Do not store in a plastic container as they will stay fairly soft.

View attachment 21465

Tomorrow, meringue mushrooms.
That's absolutely amazing, all of it. The amount of work involved is astounding, but such lovely work!

Back
Top Bottom