Burns' Night: a Major Scottish Holiday.

Looks like there's a few of us in love with Scotland.
I remember as a young teen going to a Burns night where the haggis was ceremoniously walked around the room with a lone bagpiper, and then being stabbed with some kind of special knife.

A few years ago I was given this book. It's fabulous, full of whimsy, poetry and little bits of magic such as when making oatmeal you have to rain the oats into the water with your left hand only

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you go for wild or farmed haggis? I prefer wild mountain haggis as it has a lovely heather flavour, obviously I prefer eating the left leg to the right leg as there is so much more meat on them.

On another forum that same subject came up, but with beef, apparently most cows sleep on the right? I think, which means the other leg does most of the hard lifting when getting up, so the other side was more tender.? Make sense??? It kinda did to me, I must look when in the country next time.

Russ

On another forum that same subject came up, but with beef, apparently most cows sleep on the right? I think, which means the other leg does most of the hard lifting when getting up, so the other side was more tender.? Make sense??? It kinda did to me, I must look when in the country next time.

Russ
With the mountain haggis their left legs are longer than their right legs so they can run round the mountains clockwise whilst they are grazing

I'm amazed this thread has got zo far without a mention of a deep fried mars bar.

A friend of mine who comes from Edinburgh is of Ukrainian descent. One day, we were musing on this subject and how so many Ukrainians ended up in Scotland. His theory was that it was the only place that had food as stodgy as they got at home.

Back
Top Bottom