Review Butter burger

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:37 PM
From The Stockyard's Smokehouse on an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I want to make this! Roasted marrow bones, then removed the marrow, added a red wine reduction, a whole bunch of butter and bleu cheese. Mixed, rolled it up into a log, wrapped and refrigerated. Placed an unseasoned burger patty on a flat top, sprinkled with salt and got a nice crust on it. Used a bun that looked like brioche or some other rich, eggy bread, a nice piece of butter lettuce, the patty, a good sized slice of the compound butter above, then fried onion strings with a good bit of visible black pepper in the batter.

I wouldn't mind having that butter on a med rare grilled rib eye either!

The restaurant named it a Butter Burger, not me.

I've had the butter burgers from Culver's, as well as their "concrete milkshakes," we're even getting 1 close soon. Quite different from the above. A nice burger served with a butter toasted bun, which is where the butter comes from.

The restaurant named it a Butter Burger, not me.

I've had the butter burgers from Culver's, as well as their "concrete milkshakes," we're even getting 1 close soon. Quite different from the above. A nice burger served with a butter toasted bun, which is where the butter comes from.

There is a Culver's near me. The frozen custard is very good. For those who don't know, a "concrete" is frozen custard with other stuff mixed in. I like the Oreo cookie concrete and the Heath toffee bar concretes.

A butter toasted bun is not a true "butterburger," from what I have been told by Midwesterners (especially Cheeseheads). The real thing has about a quarter-cup of room temperature butter smeared on the top bun. Like I said, a heart attack on a bun.

CD

The burger I was writing about is more like the first video, just with a compound butter instead of plain butter. It's nothing like the second video.

The burger I was writing about is more like the first video, just with a compound butter instead of plain butter. It's nothing like the second video.

It's all good, to me. But, I have a few friends from up there who would lecture anyone on what a proper butterburger is. :headshake::D

CD

I'll speak for one Midwesterner, me. :)

First, as I've made plain here many times, I have zero use...no, make that negative infinity use for any kind of dictate as to what is and isn't an authentic this, that, or the other.

Second, when I make a butterburger, first I dice butter into fairly small cubes, and that goes into the raw ground beef, a 1/4lb butter for a pound of 80/20 beef.

That gets worked together a bit, then pattied and fried in a pan, no grill. That's because the butter will escape on the grill. Heat up the cast iron skillet in a medium oven, throw in a couple of tablespoons of butter, then the burger, then back in the oven for a bit (think reverse sear), and when I flip the burger, another tablespoon or so of butter sat on top of the patty, just to melt in.

Once it's cooked the way I like it, I take it out, wipe out the pan, heat it on high, and a quick sear on each side. Then, while the burger is rest, I add more butter to the skillet, off the heat, and then put the buns in to toast/fry in the butter.

But wait, we're not done yet. Once the buns come out, I pour whatever burger juices have accumulated back into the skillet with a bit more butter, heat that back up a little to come together, then pour that back over the burgers, then build from there.

There are a lot of different prep methods for butterburgers. Some are no more than just slathering on some butter, like a condiment, and some try and go upscale with the compound butters and such. I keep mine simple: add butter to the meat, fry in butter, toast the bun in butter, and finish with a little butter sauce.

Back
Top Bottom