Butter free crumble

ttcycle

Guru
Local time
3:54 PM
I've made crumble topping with pure spread or a similar dairy free spread.

I've found that it doesn't have the same crisp crunch texture as crumble topping that is made with butter.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something free from butter or dairy- eggs are fine (but that's not usually in a crumble!)

I've made crumble topping with pure spread or a similar dairy free spread.

I've found that it doesn't have the same crisp crunch texture as crumble topping that is made with butter.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something free from butter or dairy- eggs are fine (but that's not usually in a crumble!)

I use sunflower oil... let's see, find the recipe time...

2oz marg/pure
3oz plain wholemeat flour
3oz porridge oats
2oz demerara sugar
2 tblsp of sunflower oil

rub fat into flour, add oats & sugar and mix in oil.

We find this one works really well for our tastes.

OK, will give that a shot and see next time (everything of mine is packed away at the moment as I'm inbetween house moves!) Sounds delicious!

@SatNavSaysStraightOn - did you find the name of the dairy free whipping cream in the end?

@SatNavSaysStraightOn - did you find the name of the dairy free whipping cream in the end?

sorry - the only one I can find in the UK is this one
http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/mer...tore_Code=1&Product_Code=26&Category_Code=002

there is also a spray can version, if you get my drift. Its not the one we had in Finland, so I don't know what it is like.
http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=204&Category_Code=

this being the company's home page http://www.soyatoo.de/en/?home.

I am still looking for the make we had in Finland which tasted 'normal'

Have you ever tried using them in 'buttercreams' or mouses? Do they hold up texture wise?

A vegan friend of mine has found this:

http://www.happycow.net/europe/finland/region_notes.htm

He thinks it might have been Oatly or Go Green that you had?

It could have been GoGreen if the packaging is green and very similar to the alpro soya longl life cream packaging... and it was available in the far north of finland as well. as were the most amazing selection of soya products we have come across. Kuusamo in particular has a stunning collection.

Yes, I looked on their website and that seems to match the packaging. Shame they don't do it elsewhere.

I'm trying to find out if there is a local stockists for the cream here- my friend recommends the one in the carton- says the spray can one is aerated but pretty much the same thing but can have problems with just coming out the can as a liquidy water instead of cream. He hasn't used either for a long time though.

Yes, I looked on their website and that seems to match the packaging. Shame they don't do it elsewhere.

I'm trying to find out if there is a local stockists for the cream here- my friend recommends the one in the carton- says the spray can one is aerated but pretty much the same thing but can have problems with just coming out the can as a liquidy water instead of cream. He hasn't used either for a long time though.

yep that's them. really good selection -stuff that (if my swedish is OK) I could never have considered. Guess we just need to find a cyclist in Finland who can post them to use - I do know of one in Stockholm so part way there! Interestingly those, their website only shows 2 options for the soya cream, whilst I was positive there were at least 3 (even in the very far north of Norway where we found it... may be one was not soya, thinking about it.)...

EDIT: norwegian not swedish - that makes more sense... though that leaves me wondering about Kuusamo and what we found there, not sure it was think brand now I think about it.

I fought off serious Camembert cheese cravings tonight after reading a thread about cheese on here. The vegan block alternatives are just foul.

I fought off serious Camembert cheese cravings tonight after reading a thread about cheese on here. The vegan block alternatives are just foul.

yep - that's something they have not yet managed sucessfully... there's is one that I found OK at a push - can't remember which one now but still not ideal

Friends often talk about Cheezly but it's still pretty rank.

yep that's them. really good selection -stuff that (if my swedish is OK) I could never have considered. Guess we just need to find a cyclist in Finland who can post them to use

There is a Finn on Cyclechat, I think, I can't remember his username. Might be worth a thread in cafe asking?

Back
Top Bottom