Recipe Butterfinger Cookies

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
1:10 PM
I'm not sure if Butterfinger candy bars are available throughout the world, but if not, they should be. They're one of my favorite candy bars, and are also a favorite of many of my friends and family members, which is why I'm planning to make these cookies. I love trolling the after Christmas sales bins, and I got a great deal on some Butterfinger chips (like chocolate chips, but made from Butterfinger bars instead of chocolate) at my grocery store. I'm glad I got 2 packages when I did, because by the time I got back to the store a few days later, they were sold out. I've looked around online, and found this recipe. I'm working on some other things until the butter softens, but I'm hoping to get them made and into the mail today.

Here are the ingredients:

• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 36 pieces NESTLÉ BUTTERFINGER BITES Candy, coarsely chopped
As you can see, the ingredients are pretty standard, other than the Butterfinger Bites/chips. As far as I know, they are only available at Christmas, although of course, one could buy the candy bars and chop them up any any time.

The baking instructions are also pretty standard, so I don't anticipate any issues with making one or two batches of these.

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg; gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in Butterfinger pieces. Drop by slightly rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

If you try them, I hope you'll share your experience, and let me know if you like the recipe. I know there are others out there, but I like the simplicity of this recipe.

Attachments

• butterfinger cookies.jpg
    butterfinger cookies.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 275
I had to look up what a Butterfinger candy bar was because I had visions of it being a sweet bar with a high butter content and was thinking of something if shortbread was similar... Nope, nothing like that at all.

This is from wiki,

Butterfinger is a candy bar created in 1923 in Chicago, Illinois by Otto Schnering, which currently is manufactured by Nestlé. The bar consists of a flaky, crisp, peanut butter-flavored center covered with compound chocolate.Wikipedia

Is it soft in the center? I'm wondering if peanut butter and some chocolate would work as a substitute? Or those cake shaped American 'things' that we can sometimes now get in the UK that are chocolate with peanut butter in the middle... I think there is a letter k involved in their name but I'm not sure.

The center of the Butterfinger Bar is crispy and flaky. Butterfinger bars are amazing. They are definitely a favorite of mine. I will have to give these cookies a try. They sounds really good. Butterfinger Bars are also a favorite of Bart's on the TV show The Simpsons. :)

I like Butterfingers, but I prefer Reeses and Snickers.. I didn't know that you could get Butterfinger chips actually. I do have some heath bar chips that are very good. I am going to Wally World today, it will be interesting to see if they have any left over Christmas stuff. I was in Target earlier this week, but didn;t want to run all the way to the back of that huge store to ferret through the left over Christmas items.

I had to look up what a Butterfinger candy bar was because I had visions of it being a sweet bar with a high butter content and was thinking of something if shortbread was similar... Nope, nothing like that at all.

This is from wiki,

Is it soft in the center? I'm wondering if peanut butter and some chocolate would work as a substitute? Or those cake shaped American 'things' that we can sometimes now get in the UK that are chocolate with peanut butter in the middle... I think there is a letter k involved in their name but I'm not sure.

It can be bought here in UK from Tesco's (at a price)! http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=273862074. It seems to be crunchy not soft in the middle. As described, I think it is a honeycomb using peanut flavouring in the centre. I reckon a Crunchie bar and a tablespoon of smooth peanut butter would do the job in the recipe posted above.

A review here compares similar US bars: http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/head_to_head_clark_butterfinger_5th_avenue
This is the rather critical bit about Butterfingers:

Nestle Butterfinger
(introduced by Curtiss in 1923)
Crispety, crunchety, peanut-buttery

4529120543_2f8fc90f5a.jpg

Corn syrup, sugar, ground roasted peanuts, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, cocoa, molasses and less than 1% of whey, confectioner’s corn flakes, nonfat milk, lactic acid esters, soy lecithin, soybean oil, cornstarch, artificial flavors, TBHQ and citric acid, yellow #5, red #40. Kosher 2.1 ounces

The center, when compared to the others, is obviously artificially colored. The scent of the bar is overtly “buttery” but without any real source. The coating is chalky looking and matte, without any ripples or variations. The crunch of the center is dense, though there are layers it’s a tightly wrapped bar. This gives it a density and satisfying weight. The mockolate coating is dreadful and the worst part of the bar. Salty and butter-flavored center has a good peanut butter flavor that at least covers the watery cocoa flavors of the outside.

Here's a 'hack' recipe to make your own Butterfinger Bars, but it requires candy corn. I'm not sure if y'all have that in the UK, but they're triangle shaped candy typically sold around Halloween here. http://www.ericasweettooth.com/2013/11/homemade-butterfinger-bars.html.

The Butterfinger Cookies actually caramelize somewhat, and so have a bit of crunch to them. They came out nice. At first, they seemed bland, but after they sat for a few minutes, the flavors seemed to come together. Next time I will definitely add more Butterfinger bits, and perhaps a pinch of cinnamon, but they were a tiny bit like Snickerdoodles, which I love.

Chewy-Butterfinger-Cookies-6-of-1.jpg
I found these on Pinterest. It called them chewy butter finger cookies. There are so many variations of this cookie. I am off of cookies for a bit. Had too many accidents making them and it was one accident after the other. Taking a long break. Still these look interesting.

Oh yummy, these sounds so good. I love cookies. I mean, I love sweets in general but give me the choice and I'll take the cookie most of the time unless there's something else that looks irresistible. You can do so much with cookies; chewy, crunchy, cake-like consistency, chocolate chips, peanut butter, oatmeal, filled, sandwich cookies and so many more options. I generally go on Pinterest to get new cookie recipes, however, I haven't baked recently and my cookie folder is getting pretty big so I'll have to start making some soon.

Back
Top Bottom