Recipe Buttermilk Pecan Pie

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
12:17 AM
A couple of years ago I went on a Girl's Trip with my mother and two sisters. We drove to Arkansas staying off of the interstate, stopping at flea markets, junk shops and garage sales. We had no itinerary other than a lunch tour of P. Allen Smith's Moss Mountain Farm. Smith has 3 different shows and IDK how many cook books. The home and grounds were beautiful. The lunch was delicious - his recipes and produce from his farm. The best was desert - Buttermilk Pecan Pie. It sounds weird but taste amazing.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup pecan halves
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
  • 8 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 pie crust, 9-inch
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil, and lightly grease the foil.
  2. Stir the pecan halves, light brown sugar, and dark corn syrup together in a small bowl. Spread the mixture out on the jelly-roll pan, and bake, stirring every 4 minutes, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the glaze thickens.
  3. Remove the pan from the oven and spread the pecans in a single layer on wax paper. Let the pecans cool completely, separating them with a spoon as they cool.
  4. Lower the oven to 325 degrees F.
  5. Combine all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl, and pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Scatter the chopped glazed pecans evenly on top of the pie filling.
  6. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until set. Let the pie cool on a wire rack before serving at room temperature.
Buttermilk Pecan Pie

The only change I made was dark brown sugar instead light brown sugar.

Must try.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of years ago I went on a Girl's Trip with my mother and two sisters. We drove to Arkansas staying off of the interstate, stopping at flea markets, junk shops and garage sales. We had no itinerary other than a lunch tour of P. Allen Smith's Moss Mountain Farm. Smith has 3 different shows and IDK how many cook books. The home and grounds were beautiful. The lunch was delicious - his recipes and produce from his farm. The best was desert - Buttermilk Pecan Pie. It sounds weird but taste amazing.

Buttermilk Pecan Pie

The only change I made was dark brown sugar instead light brown sugar.

Must try.

I love a road trip. Best one I've done is with friends, cairns Australia to Brisbane. Over 10 days. 2 day stops at amazing places. Airlie beach and Yeppoon are stunning places. The company was good too.

Russ

Interesting. I've never seen a recipe where the nuts are glazed first and then baked. May give this a try.

Back
Top Bottom