Buttermilk

For those that might need it in an emergency, here is the substitute.

To make Buttermilk - use 4 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice. Add milk to make 1 1/4 cup.

On checking recipes I have calling for buttermilk, I found one for "Shrimp Curry" and one for "Shrimp in Spicy Buttermilk Peanut Sauce" in case someone (MG:whistling:) needs something to use up her buttermilk. lol

They seem to have this in some supermarkets here.
Yes, I've been buying buttermilk in UK supermarkets all of my life. It's never not been available, even being available in the small city center ones that went onto become the express or other such variant stores. Even before getting this recipe which we'd make weekly at least, we'd use it frequently. We'd always have a couple of the cartons available in the fridge. We also found we got better bread if it was a couple of weeks passed the BB date, where the foil lid was staring to dome upwards.

However in Ireland you can buy it in cartons the same size as regular milk! (By the point or more). And it would be available in the local spar shop as well. It could often be found in the freezer section along with goats milk (back in the 1990s I could consume goats milk but finding that in UK supermarkets was hit and miss and only in full cream variety, none of the options that were to become available later on).

I come from a Welsh background, not far from from one of the major ports to Ireland, so this could explain it being a regular part of our diet.

I was meaning vegan buttermilk was available now in supermarkets here.
Sorry, misunderstood. It would be interesting to have seen it to try it out or at last see what it is made of.
The bacteria in cows buttermilk is what would need to be replicated. Yoghurt & lemon juice or acv never cut it for me as a substitute, so I can't see that working as a dairy free substitute either.

I'll have to have a peep in my non dairy evolution cookbook. It's a known source for good alternatives in the vegan world (usually simply referred to as NDE). I'm due to stay cooking normally again this week and have a few things to make like this. Plus a few supplies to get to start things like saurkraut making and the likes. Adding in a few extras to that the book may require won't kill my budget.

....and I've decided to make my own. The original buttermilk was literally that; the liquid left over from making butter. Nowadays the buttermilk we buy is made by fermenting milk with lactic acid bacteria.

I'm going to make some butter and then use the 'whey' (buttermilk) in other recipes...

What I buy over here in the northeast states is from a brand called "Kate's of Maine". Their buttermilk is supposedly indeed the liquid left over from making their butter. As in, real. I can't find it in every supermarket, but I do try to hold out until I CAN find it. (I also buy most of my butter from them, too.)

I made butter today - easy peasy! Whip up double (heavy) cream until it clots together and yields liquid. I now have buttermilk for use. And some lovely butter. Photos tomorrow. The buttermilk is not very acidic compared to bought buttermilk, but it tastes lovely.

I made butter today - easy peasy! Whip up double (heavy) cream until it clots together and yields liquid. I now have buttermilk for use. And some lovely butter. Photos tomorrow. The buttermilk is not very acidic compared to bought buttermilk, but it tastes lovely.

Ours is about 5 to $6 a pound here. What would yours work out per pound.?

Russ

Ours is about 5 to $6 a pound here. What would yours work out per pound.?

Russ

Butter is slightly more expensive here - complicated to compare because prices are per kilo and in pounds sterling. The cost of home made butter works out a little more expensive than the cheapest butter - and on a par with more expensive butter. 400ml of double cream makes about 200g of butter.

I just used the last of my buttermilk (from the shop) to make some creme fraiche.

I'll have to check what I pay for butter, but I'm thinking the Irish butter I buy is close to $7US a pound, and cheap shop-brand butter is half that.

We have some leftover buttermilk from a recipe that called for it. For the heck of it, this morning I used some of it on my cereal. I was surprised that I really liked it.

Do you use buttermilk and if so, how do you use it?
I never thought about pouring it on cereal. That's good you like it.

I always have cultured buttermilk on hand. I use it in a lot cooking and baking. It's rare for a week to go by without using it.

Something interesting about cultured buttermilk is that it's okay for it to go past the expiration date. It's already aged and ''spoiled''.

I have made my own clabbler milk a few times. Pretty much the same as buttermilk.

Buttermilk freezes great. Once defrosted, shake well before using.

Never heard of clabber milk. How is that made?

Clabber milk is less tart than a cultured buttermilk, you buy at the store or make. I've had no problems substituting it for a cultured buttermilk.

Basic recipe is 1 tablespoon of cultured buttermilk to 1 cup of milk. I use homogenized organic whole. Mix all this in a sterilized mason jar. I make a quart at a time. Cover with a coffee filter, secure with the ring. Leave this to culture, in 70°F to 78°F until milk has clambered. About 10 to 24 hours. Test: Tip the jar slightly, it the mass moves away from the wall of the jar in a single mass. You have succeeded! The longer you let it cultivate the more tart if becomes. You have to it refrigerate at least 6 hours prior to use, to halt the culturing. Stir before using. Replace the coffee filter with a proper lid.

I save 2-5 tablespoons per batch and freeze as my next starter. Freezing makes it slightly weaker starter. So I use 2 tablespoons instead of 1 per cup.

Clabber milk is less tart than a cultured buttermilk, you buy at the store or make. I've had no problems substituting it for a cultured buttermilk.

Basic recipe is 1 tablespoon of cultured buttermilk to 1 cup of milk. I use homogenized organic whole. Mix all this in a sterilized mason jar. I make a quart at a time. Cover with a coffee filter, secure with the ring. Leave this to culture, in 70°F to 78°F until milk has clambered. About 10 to 24 hours. Test: Tip the jar slightly, it the mass moves away from the wall of the jar in a single mass. You have succeeded! The longer you let it cultivate the more tart if becomes. You have to it refrigerate at least 6 hours prior to use, to halt the culturing. Stir before using. Replace the coffee filter with a proper lid.

I save 2-5 tablespoons per batch and freeze as my next starter. Freezing makes it slightly weaker starter. So I use 2 tablespoons instead of 1 per cup.

Fascinating - its a bit like a sourdough culture. The buttermilk I made from churning butter is also less tart than store bought buttermilk.

Fascinating - its a bit like a sourdough culture. The buttermilk I made from churning butter is also less tart than store bought buttermilk.
I always save the buttermilk from making butter too. It's fabulous in my cornbread recipe.

Mom always made clabbered milk. It was a real treat. The brand of baking powder we use is Clabber Girl baking powder. :)

Back
Top Bottom