Butternut Squash and flour recipe

Amateur1

Local time
7:00 PM
Good Morning,
I have this recipe which tastes very nice. How can I make it healthier? I'm concerned about the sugar and losing nutrients from the butternut squash as I boil it.

Buy about 400g sliced butternut squash
Put it in pot with cold water and bring to boil.
Pre heat oven to 190
Simmer for 15 minutes. Put in a knife to check it’s cooked.
Remove from water into a bowl then mash
Add 5 ounces of veg. oil or sunflower oil
Add 7 ounces of flour per pound
Add 3.5 ounces of silver spoon white granulated sugar per pound
Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Add 2 eggs
Mix then put into foil container for cooking.
Leave for about 40 minutes in top oven at 190
Freeze when it’s cold

I presume this is supposed to be a cake? You could roast the squash whole or in two halves rather than boil. That's easier anyway as no need to chop up. Then scoop out the flesh. Instead of sugar you could add honey but at the end of the day its not going to make it much 'healthier'.

Thanks. Actually I buy sliced butternut squash from the Supermarket rather than a whole one. Therefore, it looks like I may as well leave the recipe as it is.

Thanks. Actually I buy sliced butternut squash from the Supermarket rather than a whole one. Therefore, it looks like I may as well leave the recipe as it is.

You could still roast it rather than boil it. Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake at 180C for 20 mins.

Just so I fully understand you. Put the 400g of butternut squash slices into a pan. Add olive oil and stir (to avoid burning) for 20 minutes. Could you give a rough idea of what you mean by a little eg 1 or 2 tablespoons?

I meant bake in the oven. Simply place the slices on a (preferably non-stick) baking sheet so they are not overlapping and drizzle a little oil over and bake in the oven. No need to stir. I'd say about 1 tbsp of oil will be fine.

I have found that most recipes can have the sugar quantity reduced to between 50-75% of the original given. Personally, I'd start with halving the quantity and seeing what the raw mixture tastes like. Experience gives a guide here. Most of the time my husband and I'll still find it too sweet. It's one of those things where your tastes adapt with time. Meringue seems to be the only exception to that rule!

If you are creative, you could cook 2 at the same time. One with 50% of the original sugar and the other with 75% and see which you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom