Recipe Buttery Penuche (Brown Sugar Fudge)

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
12:21 AM
This is one of my favorite flavors of fudge. I usually make several batches at Christmas, and give some to friends, along with various types of cookies I've baked.

penuche.jpg

I was baking these Brown Sugar Oatmeal cookies the other day: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/brown-sugar-oatmeal-cookies.html and before I added the oatmeal, they looked just like a batch of penuche, so I got a craving, and decided I'm going to make a batch this week. I thought I'd share the recipe in case any else enjoys Penuche, or wants to try making it. Here's the Penuche recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/buttery-penuche-brown-sugar-fudge-69826

Ingredients
  • 2⁄3 evaporated milk
  • 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
  • 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup toasted walnuts (optional)
Directions
  1. In a heavy medium sized pot, bring first 4 ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
  2. Reduce heat to low and stir frequently until candy thermometer reads 240°F (soft ball stage) (this will take about 20-30 minutes).
  3. Pour into a metal bowl as a plastic one will melt and add vanilla.
  4. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed.
  5. Add powdered sugar slowly and continue beating until fudge is thick and smooth (about 3-4 minutes).
  6. Add walnuts and stir with spoon.
  7. Spread in an ungreased 8" square pan and refrigerate-uncovered for about 30 minutes.
  8. Cut into small squares and eat.

Last edited by a moderator:
This fudge sounds superb. I have never attempted to make sugar fudge but have made other types.
My Dad use to make the best sugar fudge. It was always a treat for us when he would make up a
batch.

It's easy to make, and the consistency reminds me of a chocolate fudge my Mom used to make. I love brown sugar and maple, so will try pretty much any recipe that calls for them, and I know it will satisfy my sweet tooth. Maybe it's more of a New England taste, because no one I've encountered down here in Texas has ever had it before, but most like it when they do try it.

Back
Top Bottom