Buying Herbs & Spices in Store

pafjlh

Local time
1:10 AM
I'm not ashamed to admit this, I buy my spices at the store. That's right buy spices such as cinnamon, cayenne pepper, chili powder, rosemary and garlic powder in containers at the store. I even buy dry parsley in the bag or container. I know that some like to have fresh versions of many spices when they cook. But for me taking a short cut is the method I prefer to do when cooking. I will even but that Parmesan cheese in the can, something I know many cooks won't even consider doing.

I won't pretend that the fresher version of spices or other herbs don't have a better flavor. I know for a fact that do because I have tasted them along the way. Including fresh ground Parmesan cheese which is amazing. But when cooking I have to take short cuts and also save money so the fresher ingredients aren't always an option for me to consider.

I always buy jars as they are a good back up if you don't have fresh. I'm not bothered if people judge me, but I cook when I feel like it and so I can't always have fresh items to hand. I did try to force myself to that with some vegetables, but I ended up throwing them out as I didn't feel like cooking, so frozen works for me economically as well as being green.

Fresh herbs are a must for me, but it do have one or two cheats up my sleeve. For instance some fresh herbs can easily be frozen and kept handy for when you need then. Frozen they have almost as much flavour as fresh and definitively more flavour than dried. In fact I have almost given up totally on dried herbs. Coriander, parsley, mint, oregano, thyme and even tarragon can all be found in my freezer. Some are grown in my garden and harvested throughout the year and depending on what the herb is, it is either frozen whole (thyme - the leaves just fall off really really leaving you the stalk to extract and through) or i chop them and freeze them add they are.

Spices are a different matter entirely. Spices are buy definition something competely different to what you are referring to.

The most basic definition is can give you is this

Herbs are the leaves (and sometimes stalks) of herbaceous (non-woody) plants.

Spices are obtained from the roots, flowers, fruits, seeds, resin or bark of plants.

Spice as a result are usually dried already, unless you are unusually using something like fresh coriander seeds which would be odd to day the least.

I'm not ashamed to admit this, I buy my spices at the store. That's right buy spices such as cinnamon, cayenne pepper, chili powder, rosemary and garlic powder in containers at the store. I even buy dry parsley in the bag or container. I know that some like to have fresh versions of many spices when they cook. But for me taking a short cut is the method I prefer to do when cooking. I will even but that Parmesan cheese in the can, something I know many cooks won't even consider doing.

I won't pretend that the fresher version of spices or other herbs don't have a better flavor. I know for a fact that do because I have tasted them along the way. Including fresh ground Parmesan cheese which is amazing. But when cooking I have to take short cuts and also save money so the fresher ingredients aren't always an option for me to consider.
I agree, I like fresh herbs, but when you have to save money I just go with the cheapest ones. Dry herbs have a pretty good shelf life, so the taste of the spices will still be present. I just add more spice if I need the flavor to stand out.

There is no need to feel ashamed of buying dried spices. Most of them are imported in their dried form and would not be available fresh anyway. Dried herbs are useful when they are not in season. You can't always buy them fresh.

Back
Top Bottom