Cake in a cup?

smlewis00

Veteran
Local time
7:30 PM
Are any of you familiar with the term "mug cake" or "cake in a cup?" I have read many different articles online that have recipes saying you can make cakes in a mug or in cup in the microwave.
These are suppose to be individual cakes that you can bake using only the microwave. I had never heard of this before! I also have never tried it.
I came across this web site that has 30 different recipes to make desserts in the microwave. Check it out here: http://www.number-2-pencil.com/2013/02/26/30-mug-recipes/
I am curious to try this method. My only fear is that the quality would not be good. Have any of you ever made a dessert in a cup, mug or jar?

I haven't done it. I almost did the other night when I just wanted one serving of cake and didn't want to make an entire batch - though, truth be told, what the heck do you do with the rest of the box of cake mix when you do this method? Seems silly.

I actually think the texture would probably come out weird. No eggs. Microwave? I imagine it has the texture of a gooey lava cake, but without the goo in the middle. Maybe if you filled it with chocolate syrup or a put a candy bar in the middle to melt it would help.

I often use a sweetcorn tin (which in the UK is slightly wider and less high than a standard tin) to cook a small cake in the oven as normal. this small cake is great for either giving to a (single) relative or taking away with us as needed. The other option is a large tin (can) of tomatoes (the 800g size tin rather than the standard 440g size).

I was actually going to try making this a little while ago and decided against it. I'm not completely convinced I will love the results. I prefer cold cake with lots of icing! Nonetheless, the chocolate peanut butter mug cake recipe does look pretty good.

I found this really easy recipe for cakes in a mug/cup:
You will need two cake mixes. One must be Angel Food cake mix, and the other can be your choice.
Mix the two together in an airtight container and seal it.
When you want a sweet treat, get a coffee mug or cup, add 3 Tablespoons of the Cake Mix and 2 Tablespoons of Water. Microwave 1 minute.
The ingredients in the angel food cake mix help create a delicious cake when mixed with another flavor of cake mix. For best results, use chocolate or strawberyy cake mix.
I am definitely interested to try this recipe out!

Back
Top Bottom