Calling all Americans!

It ain't haute cuisine, if that's what you were thinking.

If you make it with chipped or ground beef, it is called SOS (Shit On a Shingle).

It ain't haute cuisine, if that's what you were thinking.

If you make it with chipped or ground beef, it is called SOS (shoot On a Shingle).

I suspect it was one of those dishes that a farmer's wife came up with to start the family out for the daily chores with something that would stick to their ribs as the old saying goes.

Umm, no, it's called sh!t on a shingle in the South and the military, Navy and Marines particularly I believe according to my brother-in-law who was career Navy.

@morningglory, no offense taken because that is what it looks like.

BTW, lots of people also like their sausage gravy over pancakes. That was Craig's older brother's favorite way of eating it.

Last edited:
To expound a little more, back when whoever came up with this did, they didn't care what it looked like, just that it tasted decent and most importantly was filling and gave you enough energy to get your work done.

And one of the reasons we don't make this very often is all we want to do is go back to sleep and/or sit around all day after having this for breakfast.

It will be quite a challenge making it look pretty as I've never seen a pretty plate of this even when fresh fruit is used as a side/garnish.

Last edited:
I must protest at the editing! This was not foul language but rather a real culinary term, lol.

It was SOS in the army, too. My dad would never eat it after having had it in WWII too many times.

I believe it's technically called creamed chipped beef on toast. I'm not sure why pork sausage gets a pass by being called gravy.

I haven't thought of this in a long time, but my dad had a lot of things he wouldn't do, or say, or eat again after the war. He never wanted to go camping either, saying that "camping" in the Hurtgen forest and Bastogne in the Winter of '44 was enough for a lifetime.

I've seen appetizing pictures of biscuits n gravy.

The biscuits were huge, and the gravy just poured over the top across the plate in a wide stripe, not smothering them.

I kind of thought it odd that BT didn't get it right. It's just not like him to let something off color slide. :D

I figured that word wouldn't be allowed though which is why I used the upside down i.

Lol, I just tested it, and it doesn work that well. It misses a lot of words, and at other times sounds like Roman Maroni.

I kind of thought it odd that BT didn't get it right. It's just not like him to let something off color slide. :D

I figured that word wouldn't be allowed though which is why I used the upside down i.

Not sure why its not allowed really since everyone uses it! Its often used on TV and in dramas so its not exactly taboo.

@morning glory I will be using a fairly standard course texture herby pork sausage.

I think we've got the recipe covered, I'm going with @medtran49's recipes for both biscuits and the gravy. When I've seen it made on TV ( Diners, Drive-ins & Dives) it was made with stock and cream, so that is what I was expecting.

What's wrong with the link I gave you? That's a pretty standard American biscuit.

Since Craig didn't get his way of making it up, I'll give mine. Brown a tube of standard/regular flavor breakfast sausage over medium heat. Stir in and cook chopped onions if desired. Stir in enough flour to bind the rendered fat and cook for several minutes (you are making a roux). Stir in enough chicken or pork stock to make a thick gravy. Stir in enough heavy cream to make a medium gravy and warm through over medium low. Salt and pepper to taste.

I don't have a recipe per se. Every Southern girl my age that cooked learned to make this from their mother or grandmother and they didn't use a recipe either. It was just something you did.

Craig makes the biscuits and gravy in our house. This is the biscuit recipe he uses https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/alton-browns-biscuits.12261/ . He'll have to post how he makes his sausage gravy.

I will do the shopping tomorrow and post the photos once consumed on Saturday.

Thanks.

I will do the shopping tomorrow and post the photos once consumed on Saturday.

I agree - think we have it covered now. I will buy a plain pork sausage and add my own seasonings - otherwise the same as you although I may use strong white bread flour for the biscuits. That is what Paul Hollywood recommends for scones (which are very similar) and I've had good results using his method.

I hope to cook this on Saturday or Sunday so hopefully I'll post photos on Sunday too.

You are trying to avoid too much gluten in biscuits. They are supposed to be fluffy and tender. I would only use AP flour. And, use a light hand when mixing dough, don't overwork it.

You are trying to avoid too much gluten in biscuits. They are supposed to be fluffy and tender. I would only use AP flour. And, use a light hand when mixing dough, don't overwork it.

I understand - but using the Paul Hollywood technique the gluten is not worked. Trust me on this one...I've used the method several times for beautifully light scones. But I could make two batches to compare.

I understand - but using the Paul Hollywood technique the gluten is not worked. Trust me on this one...I've used the method several times for beautifully light scones. But I could make two batches to compare.

Interesting. I use gf flour (obv.) and that is worked even less. We used to host language students and I used to treat them to a few English dishes like scones. Two who were with us at the same time asked me to teach them how to make them so I did. One overworked that mixture, almost like kneading bread. The other had a lighter touch. Big difference in resulting scones. It all came from one big bowl of mixture.

Back
Top Bottom