Calorie counted recipes

Roger Burton

Local time
7:37 AM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Hi chaps, going to try to lose the weight I gained during lock-down, despite not going to the pub ... do any of you have favourite websites that list the calorie count please ? eg there a lots of sites that list "skinny" pancakes but no mention of how many calories !

I count carbs because I'm diabetic (type II), and it's not hard.

My doctor set up a carb plan for me, 45-60 carbs per meal, 15-30 carbs per snack, based on three meals and three snacks a day. It's not based on limiting my carbs per se, but taking in the "right" amount of carbs to keep my glucose within range and even.

I just look on the side of a box of something I'm about to eat, say, some cereal, and I add that into my total for that meal. For a typical breakfast, I'll have a serving-and-a-half if cereal, plus the milk, and that'll get me around 50, depending on the cereal.

This does mean, though, that you have to pay a lot closer attention to serving sizes. For the first year or so after being diagnosed, I weighed/measured all my food, until I got used to approximating everything.

Of course, it's much, much harder when you're making everything from scratch. I made spaghetti and meatballs the other day, and if I'd wanted an accurate count of that, I'd have to count the canned tomatoes I used, count all the ingredients, like the bread in the meatballs, the bit of sugar added, the pasta I put it on...no thanks. In those cases, I just use a guess, as I know about how much pasta I can get away with.

Luckily, most recipes and online resources seem to include the nutritional info nowadays.

One other thing, when looking at a nutritional label, check the fiber, and if it's over 5, you can generally deduct that amount from the overall carbs. Can't remember why, but you can, according to the nutrition class I had

There have been studies over here that suggest that type 2 diabetes can be reversed by eliminating carbs/sugar from ones diet.
Correct, Atkins was apparently one of the first Dr's to realize this. When the cancer treatment was over and I had put on 50 kg. Latif gave me the amazing news I was clear I was floating. My cancer Nurse, Nurse HoneyBun no joke ( kate.honeybun@wales.nhs.uk ) then took me into her office and gave me the "bad" news that I had developed Type 2. 9 month later and 52 kg lost I was clear of type 2.
Honeybun liked me because as she put it I was bonkers. On the first morning of my treatment in the last chance bunker there were 25 other newbie patient in the waiting room. The mood was somber to say the least, I was first. Buns came in and called my name, then asked was there anything I needed to ask. I replied yes I like my eggs poached not fried. About 20% of the room broke out laughing. That increased over my 20/30 daily visits. After the machine had given me a good kicking they brought a wheel chair in to take me to the recovery room, I told Buns to walk behind me as I walked out past the waiting room. Mentally it was very challenging for a few reasons, one was after I had composed myself for the drive home ( I lied and told Buns my wife was waiting in the car to drive me home) I walked to the car past parents bringing their children in.

Calories in, calories out. If you did not have weight problem before lock-down, then it is quite possible that you have just taken in more calories than you have used. I know I haven't done as much physically as I did before Covid-19.

Best advice for that is to eat less. Sounds trite, but it works. You may not need to do any major changes. Just little things. Eat a good meal, and pass on dessert. More veg, and less meat. Basic stuff.

CD

It's more that losing the weight lessens Type 2, and reducing carbs helps with that. That's why my doctor refers to Type 2 (at least in my case) as Fat-And-Lazy Disease, because that's how I developed it. :)

With me, the magic number is 200. If I'm 200 pounds and under, my blood sugar is fine, I don't even have to be that mindful of my carbs, no issues. I just have to stay under 200 pounds.

If I'm over 200, my blood sugar is much more difficult to manage, it goes high and stays high, and then that starts affecting other things.

Because of the pandemic (and my own laziness), it's been 10 months since I've had my A1C checked, and I'm very curious to see where I'm at, as we've been eating less restaurant food, and I've been exercising more. I have a doc's appointment for that next week.

It's more that losing the weight lessens Type 2, and reducing carbs helps with that. That's why my doctor refers to Type 2 (at least in my case) as Fat-And-Lazy Disease, because that's how I developed it. :)

With me, the magic number is 200. If I'm 200 pounds and under, my blood sugar is fine, I don't even have to be that mindful of my carbs, no issues. I just have to stay under 200 pounds.

If I'm over 200, my blood sugar is much more difficult to manage, it goes high and stays high, and then that starts affecting other things.

Because of the pandemic (and my own laziness), it's been 10 months since I've had my A1C checked, and I'm very curious to see where I'm at, as we've been eating less restaurant food, and I've been exercising more. I have a doc's appointment for that next week.
My wife has Type 1, which runs in her family. Getting her to eat enough carbs is more of a problem. If she hasn't eaten many with supper I usually make her a piece of wholemeal toast at bedtime, otherwise she can wake up next morning with a hypo.

Good luck with the doc's appointment!

Back
Top Bottom