Calories in restaurant appetizers

MoniqueS

Veteran
Local time
5:10 AM
Website
youngandpennywise.tumblr.com
First, any guesses on what chain or type of appetizer dish has the highest amount of calories?

8. Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken Quesadilla - 1494 calories
7. Red Lobster Crispy Calamari and Vegetables - 1520 calories
6. P.F. Chang’s Spare Ribs - 1376
5. Applebee’s Chili Cheese Nachos - 1680 calories
4. Chili’s Skillet Queso with Chips - 1710
3. Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries - 1973 calories
2. Uno Chicago Grill's Pizza Skins - 2050 calories
1. Applebee’s Appetizer Sampler - 2530 calories

Do you think these dishes are worth all the calories?

Below is the link for the full article: http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/1-worst-sampler?slideshow=186390#sharetagsfocus

Oh no - all of these appetizers are yummy. So, basically, when I go out, I better beware of the appetizers and all of the calories in them. The only way to get around the calories is by sharing them with others or taking only one bite.

wow... I never ever look at calories but the amounts are insane. Then again, some of those dishes do look like they could serve as a whole meal and not just an appetizer.

Before looking at your list, I would have guessed anything from Olive Garden would have the highest calories. Whenever you watch shows like "Biggest Loser" it seems like many of the contestants say their "biggest weakness" is Fetuccini Alfredo. Then they always give the calorie count and it is like triple what the recommended calories are for an entire day.

Anyway, no, I'm not surprised. I don't currently count calories or worry about it, and we don't eat out often enough to be worried about it, so when we do eat out, yes, the calories are worth it. But this is why it is so difficult to maintain your weight (or a healthy eating habit) if you eat out a lot.

Oh my! Thank you for sharing! Thankfully, I very rarely order appetizers when eating out. But this is very eye-opening! If appetizers contain this many calories, just imagine the amount of calories in the meals we order! My husband and I do not eat out often, unless we have a coupon or gift card. We are very frugal. :) We also often times share meals at the resturaunts and then come home and make dessert together. A pan of cookies or brownies is much cheaper at my house than the fancy desserts they serve and charge heavily for eating out. (Plus we often fill up on the free bread at places like Logans's Roadhouse, Red Lobster-biscuits, Outback ect.)
I have not necessarily been counting calories, but I have been very mindful of the portion sizes I have been consuming.

When I worked at TGI Fridays, they sold a cheesecake that had 72 grams of fat per slice.

I was kind of surprised to see the quesadilla be so high in calories, those are rather easy to make much healthier and low cal, but still taste great.

Potato skins are notoriously high in calories and fat. Not only are the potatoes fried in oil (after first being baked and scooped out), but then they are loaded up with bacon, cheese, and sour cream - it's a fat bomb.

I'm also surprised the "bloomin' onion" isn't on this list, that thin is loaded with fat.

When I worked at TGI Fridays, they sold a cheesecake that had 72 grams of fat per slice.

I was kind of surprised to see the quesadilla be so high in calories, those are rather easy to make much healthier and low cal, but still taste great.

Potato skins are notoriously high in calories and fat. Not only are the potatoes fried in oil (after first being baked and scooped out), but then they are loaded up with bacon, cheese, and sour cream - it's a fat bomb.

I'm also surprised the "bloomin' onion" isn't on this list, that thin is loaded with fat.

After readining your comment, I was surprised Outback's bloomin onion wasn't listed as well! You're right, it is loaded with fat! I looked up the calories in Outback's bloomin onion. Ready for this?
1959 calories! 1449 calories from fat! (No kidding when you said "that thing is loaded with fat!")
Source: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-appetizers-bloomin-onion_f-ZmlkPTE3MDA3NA.html

I am a little surprised by these numbers, but then again, I wouldn't order one of these as an appetizer. The Appetizer sampler, for example might be something two or three of us would order in lieu of a meal. To follow one of those up with the obligatory burger and fries type meal and then some cheesecake is something that people do, but certainly not the people I know.
The worst part is when they offer calamari and VEGETABLES - this might lead someone to believe they are eating healthy.

Back
Top Bottom