Can diet reverse grey hair

Mod. Edit. Posts moved from another thread.

Absolutely right! Here's something for folks to chew on. I was a vegetarian for 20 years starting in my early teens. I started going gray at the age of 19. By my 30s my hair was almost 90% gray. Three months ago I started low carb high fat and my hair is returning to brown in several areas. My hairdresser was BLOWN AWAY! She said she didn't even need to color my hair in the back anymore. I attribute it to all of the fat and animal proteins. I just hope any damage I did to my body being a low fat vegetarian for 20 years is reversible. I guess if my hair is reversing other stuff will too.

EDIT to add: I quit being a vegetarian about 7 years ago but was still eating high carb. My hair didn't reverse then. So it's something about the low carb high fat diet that is returning my hair to normal.
I think its not possible to get black hair back once they goes grey

Absolutely right! Here's something for folks to chew on. I was a vegetarian for 20 years starting in my early teens. I started going gray at the age of 19. By my 30s my hair was almost 90% gray. Three months ago I started low carb high fat and my hair is returning to brown in several areas. My hairdresser was BLOWN AWAY! She said she didn't even need to color my hair in the back anymore. I attribute it to all of the fat and animal proteins. I just hope any damage I did to my body being a low fat vegetarian for 20 years is reversible. I guess if my hair is reversing other stuff will too.

EDIT to add: I quit being a vegetarian about 7 years ago but was still eating high carb. My hair didn't reverse then. So it's something about the low carb high fat diet that is returning my hair to normal.

I'm skeptical about it - but this doesn't mean I am right. Interesting to hear about your hair experience (and those of others here), and is worth trying for those who do not wish to go prematurely grey.

There is definitely a genetic component to when hair turns grey, but it can be modulated by stress, turning hair in some not all cases, grey sooner. Dad didn't turn grey until his late 60s or maybe 70. At age 65 my hair is still mostly - 80% brown. Fascinating to learn that it might be possible in some cases to reverse this process, although I do have some sort of skepticism as to why or how. Maybe another genetic component, which is why it might not work for all?

(Hmmmm… I notice I always prefer the British spelling of the word "grey" to the American "gray". Go figure.)

Back
Top Bottom