Can I Freeze this Soup?

I have to say that I'm not certain either. There is a lot of dairy in it and the way it is made doesn't really allow you to add all of the dairy at the end after defrosting because of the roux containing 2 cups of milk... if you could freeze it, then I'd freeze it at that stage before the last 3 ingredients are added only adding them after defrosting and reheating.

But purely from a logical point of view, you can freeze lasagne which contains milk in a cheese sauce which could be made in a roux, and that was always fine, so I guess if you don't add the final 3 ingredients (cheese & sour cream, plus something else) you probably found freeze the 'base'.

Just thinking out loud.

My understanding is that the fat in sour cream will separate and so it becomes grainy. This will probably affect the texture and appearance of the soup. The best approach might be to make the soup minus the sour cream and then add it after its thawed and whilst you reheat it.

I´d surmise (which I often do after a couple of beers) that the dairy will be awful after freezing, and the potato will also taste yucky. I find frozen, cooked potato really unpleasant.

I´d surmise (which I often do after a couple of beers) that the dairy will be awful after freezing, and the potato will also taste yucky. I find frozen, cooked potato really unpleasant.
I was just think that too, especially Russet Potatoes, which is the type that I use for this recipe.

I don't think I've ever frozen chunks of cooked potatoes - I was thinking it was a blended soup (which it isn't). Frozen chips (fries) work OK but maybe that is different from chunks of boiled potato.

I'm always reluctant to freeze dishes with potatoes in them. If I wish to freeze a beef stew I'll semi cook the beef and onions in gravy and freeze that. Once it's defrosted I add the carrots then the potatoes and continue the cooking process.

[Edit - it's coming close to beef stew weather here; temperatures are dropping to 25°C overnight]

Back
Top Bottom