Can Tahini Go Off?

Hacienda71

Guru
Local time
4:04 AM
I have a jar of Tahini that is well past its best before date. Can it go off or should I just use it? There is a layer of oil on top as well as being in a sealed jar. I am loathed to throw things away unless I absolutely have to.

The oil can go rancid, but if it is a sealed jar I would imagine it is OK. Just warm the jar slightly (to thin the contents) and stir the oil back in (after checking it is not rancid...) I also find inverting the jar is quite useful and it is amazing how often I find someone has been through my shelves and righted the jars for me - helps to stop the tahini separating. :roflmao:

How far past its BBD are we talking?

Year or two.:whistling:
should be fine. just taste the oil prior to mixing it back in. if it tastes really really horrible and not like oil should throw it, otherwise should be fine just be aware that it will have a shorter shelf life once open though. I rarely take much notice of best before dates working with the taste test instead assuming there's no visible mold. never yet had food poisoning but I grew up on an untreated water supply and can usually drink any fresh water as a result...

I only use it for making houmous and don't always use it then, hence it festering at the back of the cupboard. Will check it before I use it. :)

I wouldn't eat it if it were a month past it's due date. If it's within that range it should be safe. You should smell it. Your body will react if it is positively rancid. Your gut will just hurt. It is part of evolution and we know when food is spoiled by smell.

I have had an open jar of Tahini in the fridge for over a year. I keep getting asked if it's still good and always say, "I'm sure it's fine". I really don't know though. I'd be afraid to try the taste test because I tend to get sick pretty easily. I've never even looked to see what the best before date is. I suppose I should just toss it as, I don't make hummus anymore. I just grew tired of it.

I just went and looked at it. I can't read the date on it as it's crooked and went up on the rim. It smells exactly like sesame seeds though so, I'm going to keep it, for now.

Tahini lasts a rather long time in the fridge - it's not uncommon for me to have a jar in mine for over a year - since you only need a little bit of it at a time and it's rather expensive. The only thing I would be somewhat concerned about is that it separated. That is normal for Tahini off the shelf, but if you mixed it completely and put it in the fridge, the chilled Tahini shouldn't really separate again unless it was brought back down in temperature again. Did your fridge go out at some point? Or did you empty it out for a long period of time to clean it, and left the Tahini out at room temp? As long as it doesn't taste or smell bad it's probably OK to use, but I would try to use the rest up as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom