Can you give me some tips to improve my baking?

JOCOOKS

Über Member
Local time
6:06 AM
Now that I have retired, I would really like to up my game in terms of cooking and baking. I am seldom satisfied with my baking efforts. A friend recommended weighing my flour, does this help? I found that a cup of all purpose flour should weigh 120 grams, and I did that the last time I baked something and it didn't help.

What are your top tips for improving the texture of my cakes and muffins?

Now that I have retired, I would really like to up my game in terms of cooking and baking. I am seldom satisfied with my baking efforts. A friend recommended weighing my flour, does this help? I found that a cup of all purpose flour should weigh 120 grams, and I did that the last time I baked something and it didn't help.

What are your top tips for improving the texture of my cakes and muffins?
This is a very general question. I think you need to give us an example of what you have tried to make and what went wrong. Then, I'm sure we can help!

Short of having more information, the advice I would give is try and stick to recipes that are tried and true (I love getting recipes from family and friends for that very reason), stick to the recipe and practice different things.

Baking to me is more of a science than cooking savory dishes, because with baking if you add a little too much of something or not enough of another it can all go wrong fast.

I should be able to make a contribution here without using Google for a best answer. I used to be a box cake only baker and then I joined a forum or two and realised that baking was not really that difficult. Since then I have been making my own scones, banana bread and even a yeast bread which was not exactly perfect. With baking I follow instructions to the letter or at least try and yes I do measure everything unlike when I cook. Someone said baking is a science and I tend to agree with that.

All I'll simply say is follow the recipe and use the correct measurements and temperatures in a good oven and you should have some success.

I agree with winterybella. I also think part of baking is having a good eye, and knowing when things reach their proper degree of being done.. Sometimes recipes give a range of time to bake something, for instance a pie..and the baker has to do some tests..to see whether they are done..like a knife inserted in the center..however, because ovens can vary,...it is helpful to know how things look when they are nearly done. We often turn off the oven and keep the item in there a bit longer than the recipe says to get that perfect degree of doneness.

I feel like my cookie and muffin doughs are too floury. I recently tried measuring my flour, but the dough was still too stiff. I have a digital kitchen scale, tared my bowl, and measured out 120 grams per cup. Is that the correct thing to do?

I feel like my cookie and muffin doughs are too floury. I recently tried measuring my flour, but the dough was still too stiff. I have a digital kitchen scale, tared my bowl, and measured out 120 grams per cup. Is that the correct thing to do?
You need to trust your judgement. Different flours can absorb liquid in different ways, so whether you go by volume or weight, you still need to make judgements. If you think the mix is too floury, add more liquid! A muffin dough is more like a batter than a dough and should be lumpy. Its probably the easiest batter to make. Try this basic muffin recipe:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup/125ml vegetable oil
  • 1 cup/250ml semi-skimmed milk
  • 1 cup/200g caster sugar - confectioner's sugar in US
  • 3 cups/400g self-raising flour (or same quantity all purpose flour and 3 tsp baking powder)
  • 1 tsp salt
Put all the above in a large bowl and beat together with a whisk. You should end up with a thick lumpy batter. If too thick, add more milk. If too thin add more flour.
This is my basic muffin mix. You can, of course add all sorts of flavourings: choc chips, vanilla, etc.

Thank you @morning glory. What temperature do I bake these at? (It's ok to give me celsius, I spent 6 years in engineering school and had to use both temperature scales!) We are expecting a blizzard this weekend here in NY, muffins would be a great treat while we are waiting out the storm Sunday morning.

Thank you @morning glory. What temperature do I bake these at? (It's ok to give me celsius, I spent 6 years in engineering school and had to use both temperature scales!) We are expecting a blizzard this weekend here in NY, muffins would be a great treat while we are waiting out the storm Sunday morning.
Bake for 20- 25 mins at 180C. They are done when well risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Good luck!

Thank you @morning glory I would have guessed 350 F, which is close enough to 180C. I've been a bit scrambled with the recent blizzard here in NY, but I do need to bake something tomorrow or Wednesday to take on a visit to a new mom and her baby, and muffins might be just the ticket.

Thank you @morning glory I would have guessed 350 F, which is close enough to 180C. I've been a bit scrambled with the recent blizzard here in NY, but I do need to bake something tomorrow or Wednesday to take on a visit to a new mom and her baby, and muffins might be just the ticket.
Hope you are coping in the snow. We've been seeing it on the news over here. Muffins would be just he ticket for a new Mum! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom