Canned or Fresh?

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
9:26 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I was talking to my sister this week after she'd done her grocery shopping and she had bought a bunch of fresh beans (on a bit of a health kick!)

I asked her why she didn't just get canned and she said she likes fresh ones better...I honestly didn't think there was a huge taste difference between the two, and I just like canned for convenience.

Do you have a preference one way or the other? Or are you easy either way?

Canned is definitely convenient especially if the ingredient is out of season but there are some additives to it to prolong the shelf life. I would not mind using canned though.

I always used beans when I am cooking my own recipe of chicken with beans. But I am always using canned beans for reason that I find it more convenient to use. Like what @Bakemehappy had said it is not always that it is in season and although that it is preserved in the can with some additives I still prefer using canned beans.

What kind of beans? I think the only type of beans I buy in a tin are baked beans because I find pretty much all other types of tinned bean are too mushy.
For red kidney beans, pinto beans etc. I usually buy them dried (I don't think I've seen fresh ones on sale) - cooking them in a pressure cooker doesn't take very long and I don't find it that inconvenient.
Broad beans and french beans I'd always buy fresh or frozen - depending on time of year.

I use fresh vegetables or frozen vegetables. I don't like canned veggies accept carrots. I'll use them in stews and casseroles. I don't like any other canned vegetables.

I do by canned beans to have on hand for something quick but I mostly buy fresh and frozen vegetables. I find that they taste so much better then the canned and you get to control the salt. I do buy baked beans in the can though. I do like those but when it comes to other beans they have to be fresh or frozen.

If you are talking generally, I prefer fresh over can any day,all day. I've never been the biggest fan of canned goods. Fresh wins but sadly because I don't often use a lot things right away, I've had some wastage I could do without.

Fresh every time if I can which the exception of garden pea which are distinctly better if they are direct from your own garden or frozen. The only time I will use canned is with either tinned kidney beans, tinned chickpeas and with tinned mixed beans.

My grandmother used to even purchase tinned sliced mushrooms, but she was brought up drinking sterilised milk (not UHT or pasteurised but one called sterilised) which tasted awful!

Sterilised milk

Sterilised milk is available in whole, semi skimmed and skimmed varieties. It goes through a more severe form of heat treatment, which destroys nearly all the bacteria in it.

Firstly the milk is pre-heated to around 50oC, then homogenised (see below for a brief outline of homogenisation), after which it is poured into glass bottles which are closed with an airtight seal.

There is no legally defined process for sterilising milk but, commonly, filled bottles are carried on a conveyor belt through a steam chamber where they are heated to a temperature of between 110-130ºC for approximately 10-30 minutes. Then they are cooled using a cold water tank, sprays or, in some cases, atmospheric air and then crated.

The sterilisation process results in a change of taste and colour and also slightly reduces the nutritional value of the milk, particularly the B group vitamins and vitamin C.

Unopened bottles or cartons of sterilised milk keep for approximately 6 months without the need for refrigeration. Once opened it must be treated as fresh milk and used within 5 days.

What kind of beans? I think the only type of beans I buy in a tin are baked beans because I find pretty much all other types of tinned bean are too mushy.
For red kidney beans, pinto beans etc. I usually buy them dried (I don't think I've seen fresh ones on sale) - cooking them in a pressure cooker doesn't take very long and I don't find it that inconvenient.
Broad beans and french beans I'd always buy fresh or frozen - depending on time of year.
I think it must be green beans that are being referred to. Canned beans such as pinto, kidney cannellini etc. are great and I often use them. But canned green beans are not comparable to fresh green beans. They are soft and limp!

I prefer fresh, but generally buy canned as they tend to be easier. I don't like the soaking process involved in buying Northern Beans, Navy Beans etc. I tend to buy fresh more in the summer, and they are great to add to summer salads. This is one of the reasons that I will buy this beans, and enjoy using them, to compliment a variety of dishes.

I usually buy dried beans and legumes. We keep a few cans around just in case we really want some beans and haven't had time to soak them, but those end up on the shelf a pretty long time. I also get frozen sometimes, because canned beans are a bit mushy. Then again, it depends on the bean. I like getting fresh green beans when they're in season. The flavour and texture is completely different to me from canned.

I prefer fresh beans or frozen beans. I do cook dried beans in my slow cooker and save them for later use like making chilli.

I currently do not eat canned vegetables or fruits, because I buy fresh produce, ever since I started eating clean and healthy over four years ago. However, I did buy canned goods a long time ago. One thing I like about fresh produce is there is less sodium than canned. However... I found this recent article published December 8, 2015:

Should You Stick to Fresh Produce, or Are Canned Foods Just As Good for You?
http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating...esh-produce-or-are-canned-foods-just-good-you
Think it's only OK to reach for fresh and seasonal produce? Quit can shaming! A new study from San Jose State University found that people who choose canned produce have better diets, eat more fruits and veggies, and fill up on more key nutrients (without overdoing it on sodium or gaining weight) than those who skip the packaged goodies.

Here's why that's huge: Canned fruits and vegetables are easy to find any time of the year—and they're perfect if you're too busy to hit the grocery store every week or just want to keep some produce in the freezer. That's a big plus considering a whopping 90 percent of us don't get our daily recommended vegetable intake; and only 15 percent of us meet the daily recommended fruit intake, according to the latest Dietary Guidelines Committee Report.

Actually, here in my country, especially in my home town, I am not aware that there is anyone who eats/buys canned beans...We usually buy raw beans, sold in kilograms, and we cook them afterwards. It does take ages for them to cook. They say if they are young, meaning fresh, then the cooking is faster; in case they are old, or let's say left for some time before being sold, then cooking takes figuratively forever. No less than two hours, to be precise. I love beans, and we here have a traditional beans soup/stew, that is my favourite national meal. The country is Serbia, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom