Canned or Fresh?

As Maya said it here, we do not buy these. Although I tried some canned food I really prefer raw, whether it is beans, corn, peas or whatever. Yeah, this is Serbia! Mind the exclamation mark and say it like Leonidas (Gerard Butler) did in the movie 300. :) So, basically I believe the nutrition will never be the same and it is in most occasions the waste of money. If you can buy organic raw beans you will change your mind about canned food forever. Somehow, canned food looks like something you have in stock for nuclear war but not for every day life.

It depends on the dish we are cooking. For chili beans, we use the red kidney beans that are sold in the market or supermarket. We use the pressure cooker for that and we always enjoy eating chili beans - with beef cubes and garnishings of bell pepper, carrots, white onions. But for saucy chicken with beans, we prefer to use the baked beans in cans. It is better because the sauce is already good enough for the chicken and sometimes we can also use it for pork dishes that are savory in taste when canned beans are used.

For dishes such as chili, I use canned beans, simply because they're quicker and easier. I've gotten really lazy between my health issues and tiny kitchen, so I take a lot of shortcuts that I wouldn't have taken years ago. I like to keep dried beans on hand for soups, though, and really enjoy making split pea or lentil soup from the dried beans/peas.

If you can help it always buy fresh. Canned goods are generally unhealthy due to the amount of preservatives in the can, recent studies show that preservatives and GMOs cause cancer in the long run. Canned is great for camping and one time trips though. They're good in small doses.

I think it must be green beans that are being referred to. Canned beans such as pinto, kidney cannellini etc. are great and I often use them. But canned green beans are not comparable to fresh green beans. They are soft and limp!

^^^ What @morning glory said. I do sometimes use canned green beans because I prefer french style and am lazy, but when they're fresh, I don't need them french style, because they taste better. I don't like regular cut canned green beans for some reason.

I've never used chickpeas that weren't canned. I've never seen them any other way here in the stores. I'd like to try making fresh ones though, if I could ever find any, or even dried.

Depends on uses ,salads then Cans are ok but for purrees etc well soaked and well cooked beans are the way forward,and they take on the flavours added

I've just had a look in my cupboard! I have 4 tins plus one carton of chopped tomatoes, a carton of passata, 6 tins of chickpeas, 5 tins of baked beans, 2 tins of kidney beans, 1 tin of coconut milk, and 4 tins of sweetcorn. For emergencies (?) there is 1 tin of tomato soup, 2 tins of peaches, and 1 tin of custard. There is a packet of dried beans (for fasolatha) and a nearly finished packet of lentils, as well as the usual large packet of rice, several packets of [different] nuts, seeds and dried fruit, and a packet of whole-wheat pasta (for when I can't be bothered to make it). There are also 3 tins of tuna, 2 tins of sardines, 1 tin of salmon, and 3 tins of dog food - all of which are for the animals. Except for the animal food, the tinned stuff is all bought for convenience, and the packets for general day to day cooking. I tend not to buy tinned veg - I get an organic veg box delivered regularly and buy other fresh and frozen fruit and veg as needed. I do prefer fresh if possible though.

Back
Top Bottom