Canned Sardines?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
10:28 PM
I used to eat them until I stopped at an all night mini mart, while out snake hunting. There was a three shift factory across the street from this mart and the second shift was on break. That is when I witnessed someone eating sardines in mustard sauce by using chunks of angel food cake to dig them out of the can. Just no!

I witnessed someone eating sardines in mustard sauce by using chunks of angel food cake to dig them out of the can. Just no!
:eek:

I love them. They are a great store cupboard ingredient. Some of the tins are very beautiful in design.

1596287683072.png

We grew up with cheap food, offal and tinned stuff like sardines in tomato sauce and herrings in tomato sauce. Mum served them up with a salad. I love them still, but like everything they are now sought after, like lamb shanks. They used to be pennies now about 5 to 10 bucks each. I can't get herrings at all now, occasionally I see sardines but in oil or water, wtf, I love them in tomato sauce. For some reason I see them in gas stations/ servos. If I see them I usually buy their complete stock.
Sadly none lately?

Russ

As a child I really hated the ritual of Sardines for Sunday tea accompanied by the slow drone of the football results on the radio. It was't about football as such, just the football pools.
At the best of times my mother was no cook. She would read constantly and once she got into a book she forgot everything else. Usually, my father would make an excuse and go for a very long walk. And I just sat there wishing the time away.
Unsurprisingly, it took decades to get over this phobia and it can still haunt today. Tony Hancock (British comedian) summed it up perfectly. The world was black and dull. There was nothing to do and nothing to say. Even the cinemas were closed.
Sorry sardines, it's not your fault

I could (but effectively sometimes I do) eat them endlessly directly from the tin, grabbing a piece of bread to soak a bit with their oil... oh my what a simple basic happiness.
I use them a lot also for pasta seasoning, on a more serious bruschetta butter and chilli flavoured, or perfect in a mousse

Just put them in a blender with a cream cheese, parsley, capers and a bit of Evoo - et voila’

Ah - OK! For my taste it would be too rich combining them with cream cheese, and EVOO because sardines are an oily fish. I suppose the capers counter this somewhat though.

Ah - OK! For my taste it would be too rich combining them with cream cheese, and EVOO because sardines are an oily fish. I suppose the capers counter this somewhat though.

When I make this mousse I tend to dissalate capers, drain the oil of sardines and tap them with kitchen paper. About cream cheese, sorry I meant a light cream cheese like ricotta, delicate and gives a perfect creaminess

Back
Top Bottom