Recipe Cannelloni crepes

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:26 PM
From Jeff Smith, The Frugel Gourmet. I know there was a scandal associated with him, but he made international dishes friendly and accessible to Americans. While they weren't always authentic since he would substitute hard to find ingredients, nearly all of his recipes were good and at least were reminiscent of the original dish.

As noted in another thread, we place sliced mozzarella (not fresh, since the other cheese isn't fresh and they need to have same melting times) in 1/4 of the circle, fold the crepe over so you have a semi-circle, place sliced fontina or fontinella cheese on top of the same quarter where the mozzarella is, fold crepe over so you have a 1/4 circle packet of crepe and cheese. A simple marinara sauce and bake until cheese melts and everything is nice and hot. Sprinkle with ParmR to serve.

INGREDIENTS

3 eggs
1 cup water
1 cup AP flour
Pinch of salt
A neutral oil for cooking, like vegetable, peanut, grapeseed, etc.

Put the first 4 ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth, scraping down sides a couple of times. Allow to rest for 30 minutes to an hour. Stir with the scraper right before using in case there was separation.

Using a 9-10 inch nonstick skillet or crepe pan, heat over medium. Pour a small amount of oil into the pan and wipe with a paper towel to distribute oil. Pour about 1/3 cup batter into pan and tilt/swirl to evenly coat bottom. Cook until dry on top, about 1 minute, and flip out onto wax paper or parchment. Repeat with remaining batter.

You will only cook 1 side, which will be the outside of your dish. It should be a spotty pale golden brown.

These supposedly can be refrigerated overnight in a sealed plastic bag, but I've never done that, so...

Last edited:
From Jeff Smith, The Frugel Gourmet. I know there was a scandal associated with him, but he made international dishes friendly and accessible to Americans. While they weren't always authentic since he would substitute hard to find ingredients, nearly all of his recipes were good and at least were reminiscent of the original dish.

As noted in another thread, we place sliced mozzarella (not fresh, since the other cheese isn't fresh and they need to have same melting times) in 1/4 of the circle, fold the crepe over so you have a semi-circle, place sliced fontina or fontinella cheese on top of the same quarter where the mozzarella is, fold crepe over so you have a 1/4 circle packet of crepe and cheese. A simple marinara sauce and bake until cheese melts and everything is nice and hot. Sprinkle with ParmR to serve.

INGREDIENTS

3 eggs
1 cup water
1 cup AP flour
Pinch of salt
A neutral oil for cooking, like vegetable, peanut, grapeseed, etc.

Put the first 4 ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth, scraping down sides a couple of times. Allow to rest for 30 minutes to an hour. Stir with the scraper right before using in case there was separation.

Using a 9-10 inch nonstick skillet or crepe pan, heat over medium. Pour a small amount of oil into the pan and wipe with a paper towel to distribute oil. Pour about 1/3 cup batter into pan and tilt/swirl to evenly coat bottom. Cook until dry on top, about 1 minute, and flip out onto wax paper or parchment. Repeat with remaining batter.

You will only cook 1 side, which will be the outside of your dish. It should be a spotty pale golden brown.

These supposedly can be refrigerated overnight in a sealed plastic bag, but I've never done that, so...

The separation of the art and the artist is always a difficult line.

Thanks for posting the crepe recipe 👍

Hey @medtran, I haven't often used wax paper but had a roll in my pantry for about the past 10 years. I used it the other day to separate some pancakes to send over to the in-laws so that after they were chilled wouldn't stick together. I made sure they were not too hot when I put them in the container, but I had been curious if it was safe if they were still a little warm. I know baking with wax paper is a no-no. Thanks for answering my question! Also thinking these cannelloni crepes look awesome! Carrabba's used to have some great crepes on their menu with marinara, meat, and cheese on the inside and drizzled with a beschemel. Going to try this soon!

Back
Top Bottom