Canning Blackberries and Blueberries

Shellyann36

Veteran
Local time
12:23 AM
I am going to go blackberry and blueberry picking on Saturday at a local berry farm. I will freeze some of each but I also plan on canning pie filling out of both the blueberries and the blackberries. I have a recipe for each from my Ball canning book. I cannot wait to get those delicious berries in the canner and then after they are done processing hear all of those lovely pings throughout the day.

Has anyone else ever canned blackberry or blueberry pie filling?

I've never canned them (don't have the kit, but I guess I could put them in sterile jars similar to jam or chutneys), but I have just taken some out of the freezer from last year to make something for this evening's dessert. It will be at least another 6 or 8 weeks before the first blackberries are ready here. I also use dehydration (in the form of making fruit leathers) as a means of preserving them as well.

I've never canned them (don't have the kit, but I guess I could put them in sterile jars similar to jam or chutneys), but I have just taken some out of the freezer from last year to make something for this evening's dessert. It will be at least another 6 or 8 weeks before the first blackberries are ready here. I also use dehydration (in the form of making fruit leathers) as a means of preserving them as well.

I have decided that I am going to just freeze all of the berries for the time being. I want to go back next Friday and pick some more. If I get enough that time around I will can them. I had not thought about using blackberries in fruit leather. I might try this. Thanks for the idea!

I have decided that I am going to just freeze all of the berries for the time being. I want to go back next Friday and pick some more. If I get enough that time around I will can them. I had not thought about using blackberries in fruit leather. I might try this. Thanks for the idea!
if you do use them for fruit leathers, you will need to add some cooked pureed apple to the mixture because they make for a very brittle leather otherwise. the cooked apple seems to add that touch of flex that makes them a leather, rather than a brittle sheet. Cooking or eating apples will work, skin and cook down to a puree and then I just add the blackberries to the blender/liquidiser (uncooked) and whiz! If you don't want the pips then you will need to blend the blackberries and put them through a sieve first!

I have never canned any fruit, too busy trying to get the veggies in their jars and ready for winter. Freezing is such a good option now a days that it seems to me to be a simpler idea than canning them.

I have never canned any fruit, too busy trying to get the veggies in their jars and ready for winter. Freezing is such a good option now a days that it seems to me to be a simpler idea than canning them.

I agree. I ended up freezing all of the berries. If I change my mind I will can them later on when it gets cooler. I ran out of time over the weekend so I just froze them in order to get the garden taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom