Canning/preserving

mjd

Veteran
Local time
1:38 PM
I am interested in learning more about canning. I have only made apple butter. The main reason is that my ex wanted me to cook everything from scratch and hated the idea of using a freezer or anything that was preserved. That's a topic for another day. LOL I would love to make various fruit jams and pickled veggies (ie. onions, beets, etc.) but don't know where to start.

What do you preserve and how do you do it?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
7:38 PM
Mod.Edit - I added 'preserving' to the thread title as in the UK canning means putting things in tin cans.

Jams, pickles and preserves aren't very difficult. You can even do them using the microwave. I do a few jams when fruits are in season and also pickled veg. Maybe mjd-lovescooking you could suggest an ingredient you want to work with and I (we) could give you a few ideas?

Burt Blank

Guru
Local time
8:38 PM
In the UK, I had two pantries and a room for the chest freezer in the outside corridor. So we had space to store preserves. Here we freeze the fruit we want to Jam (strawberries/ apricots ) in bags with the correct portion weight for the bread machine.Chutney (mango) I just buy the fruit as a when. In 80 mins you have a 1 KG of fresh product.
1604292331938.png

Recipe - Bread Machine Mango Chutney

epicuric

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
Do you have any particular ingredients in mind? My experience is limited to what is in abundance in the garden. This year it has mainly been apples. Two batches of apple butter so far, a spicy chutney planned, and probably some juice for freezing. I have also frozen lots of runner beans and blackcurrents, and have pickled some chillis.

mjd

Veteran
Local time
1:38 PM
I don't have anything particular in mind. I am just interested in making something to try it out. I like strawberry jam and think peach jam or jelly would be interesting. I do not care for fresh peaches at all but will eat cling peaches so I don't know if that's a good idea.

I tried to make grape jelly a few months back when someone gave me a crate full (~30 bags) and it was a waste of time and ingredients as it had no flavor whatsoever. I threw it all away.

I also love pickles and always have a big jar of them on hand. I have pickled green onions but did those in brine, not as preserves.

epicuric

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
That looks awesome! I cannot find sultanas in my local grocery store. Do you happen to know of a good substitute for that? Thank you!
Perhaps a 50:50 mix of raisins and dates might work. Any dried fruit is probably OK, but you will get a slightly different flavour. Dried cranberries?

Top Bottom