Can't Get Cakes to Bake. Help!

Mika

Veteran
Local time
7:40 PM
Alright here's the story. For the last few years I've been unable to get any cake (except for lemon pound cake or boxed cake) to cook properly! It always burns a quarter inch thick and leaves the insides gooey! I've tried plain vanilla cake, chocolate, strawberry, blueberry, rum, you name it, I've tried it. I've used multiple recipes I've found online (unfortunately my recipe book is 60 miles away right now so I can't post those). I've tried 4 different ovens with every temp between 300 and 450 in increments of 10 degrees. I've also tried turning the oven off when it was "done cooking". I've used glass, aluminum, and the black nonstick pans. I've tried round cakes, small rectangle cakes, even a big thin cake on a cookie sheet (that one was a bit better, at least it was cooked. Even if it was burnt.) I've also followed family recipes with the same results. Cupcakes and baked doughnuts come out, just not cake. Does anyone have any ideas, or do cakes just hate me?

It sounds as if you have your oven up too high or something like that. I have never had a burnt top and a goes inside. What temperature are you trying to bake your cakes at? My guess is that you oven temperature control is off.

Alright here's the story. For the last few years I've been unable to get any cake (except for lemon pound cake or boxed cake) to cook properly! It always burns a quarter inch thick and leaves the insides gooey! I've tried plain vanilla cake, chocolate, strawberry, blueberry, rum, you name it, I've tried it. I've used multiple recipes I've found online (unfortunately my recipe book is 60 miles away right now so I can't post those). I've tried 4 different ovens with every temp between 300 and 450 in increments of 10 degrees. I've also tried turning the oven off when it was "done cooking". I've used glass, aluminum, and the black nonstick pans. I've tried round cakes, small rectangle cakes, even a big thin cake on a cookie sheet (that one was a bit better, at least it was cooked. Even if it was burnt.) I've also followed family recipes with the same results. Cupcakes and baked doughnuts come out, just not cake. Does anyone have any ideas, or do cakes just hate me?
I don't read anywhere where the burnt bit is. If it is always the top then it would sounds like you have a top element oven only and you need to let the height of the shelf as much as possible or even cover the top of the cake over with some foil laid across the top loosely. If it is always the bottom, then you have a similar issue and need to move the cake as far from the heat source as you can.

If it is only one side, or perhaps opposite sides then you have a wide hearing element(s) and you will need to rotate the cake part way through cooking.

There is one alternative and that could be the recipe/s you are using. When you have your cake recipe to hand, can you post it up please? It could just as easily be a recipe problem.

That depends entirely on if you are in farenheit or Celsius. I have recipes which call for 220C which is 430F and I do have the odd recipe which requires even higher.

220C is scones btw.

I think that elevation above sea level in certain states has a lot to do with it as well. For instance; Colorado, which is high above sea level. Winter lasts far longer there than in other states. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom