Carob Powder

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:27 AM
Carob powder is made from the dried seed pods of the Carob Tree. Whether it can be considered a spice, a bean or seeds is debatable.

It's chief claim to fame is as an animal feed - or for humans, a cocoa alternative. It has a chocolate flavor, but somewhat softer.

I have used it as a flavoring agent in Bean dishes (mixed beans and chilis) and in Rice dishes (dark rices). Mixing it in with Adobo works for me too.

Carob Powder would make for an interesting Cooking Bites challenge, if anybody would care to recall this post mentioning it.

I think I used to get it back in those old hippy days as a substitute for chocolate. Its also a natural sweetener. Maybe I will try to get some. Its not easily available except on-line or possibly in health stores.

I think I used to get it back in those old hippy days as a substitute for chocolate. Its also a natural sweetener. Maybe I will try to get some. Its not easily available except on-line or possibly in health stores.

Yeah, that old hippy health food connection has many people frowning on Carob. But like Cinnamon and real Cocoa, it's a valid flavoring agent.

My source was Bob's Red Mill, but I just checked and they appear to be out of season on Carob Powder.

They have a lot of other quality stuff ...

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop.html

Yeah, that old hippy health food connection has many people frowning on Carob. But like Cinnamon and real Cocoa, it's a valid flavoring agent.

My source was Bob's Red Mill, but I just checked and they appear to be out of season on Carob Powder.

They have a lot of other quality stuff ...

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop.html

Remember I'm in the UK...

Carob is popular in Portugal especially in the South. Personally I don't like but there's a couple dessert recipes with carob. I guess it's a Mediterranean fruit (?) maybe.

Carob is popular in Portugal especially in the South. Personally I don't like but there's a couple dessert recipes with carob. I guess it's a Mediterranean fruit (?) maybe.

Its a large bean pod from a tree, the Carob Tree. The whole pod is dried out and ground up.

I use it in sauces as mild flavoring and a thickening agent.

Its a large bean pod from a tree, the Carob Tree. The whole pod is dried out and ground up.

I use it in sauces as mild flavoring and a thickening agent.
Yes it's also a thickening agent. I was after locust bean gum but surprisingly I can't find it in Portugal.

I deleted my previous post as most of the information was already mentioned in earlier posts. Locust bean gum aka Carob gum (food additive E410) is ground from the seeds and carob powder is ground from the whole pod. The Carob tree, Ceratonia siliqua, belongs to the pea/bean family. Carob powder would indeed be an intriguing option for the recipe challenge. Flyinglentris has found innovative use for this substance.

Last edited:
I deleted my previous post as most of the information was already mentioned in earlier posts. Locust bean gum aka Carob gum (food additive E410) is ground from the seeds and carob powder is ground from the whole pod. The Carob tree, Ceratonia siliqua, belongs to the pea/bean family. Carob powder would indeed be an intriguing option for the recipe challenge. Flyinglentris has found innovative use for this substance.

Thank you I didn't know difference between locust bean gum and carob powder!

Back
Top Bottom