Carrot Peeler: Is it really all that useful?

sorrowscall

Veteran
Local time
4:50 PM
Recently, with the people I'm staying, they constantly use a carrot peeler to..well...peel carrots. The process takes forever and I don't know how they can do it. I myself find using a pairing knife is actually a bit easier than using the peeler. What do you all think of this kitchen aid? Is it a hit or a miss? Or do you think it's dependent upon the person using it? Also, any tricks or tips on how to use one more efficiently would be most appreciated.

Which way you using it?
Handheld: Use it towards yourself.
Boar/Table: Use it away from yourself.

Use can also depend on ho much you actually have to peel as well. 2-3lb I find easier with a peeler.

Which way you using it?
Handheld: Use it towards yourself.
Boar/Table: Use it away from yourself.

Use can also depend on ho much you actually have to peel as well. 2-3lb I find easier with a peeler.
I hold it with the hand. So handheld. I do it away from myself because of how small the carrot peeler is...but I have also been using it in congruence with a board. Is that what I've been doing wrong you think? I think it might be, but I'm too scared to let the sharp part of the peeler point towards myself when peeling with it.

I hold it with the hand. So handheld. I do it away from myself because of how small the carrot peeler is...but I have also been using it in congruence with a board. Is that what I've been doing wrong you think? I think it might be, but I'm too scared to let the sharp part of the peeler point towards myself when peeling with it.
Self preservation kicks in, in most cases. Easiest way to find out is to try it. If it doesn't suit you, stick with what you prefer.

With the handheld part I was meaning the carrot, not the peeler!

image.jpg

Try one of these ,if you haven't a easy grip oxo,
When new watch your nails
My kp peels about a sack of carrots and at least 4 sacks of potatoes a week by hand with one ,with no problems,,,
Will peel a butter nut squash and a swede so they are robust
I would peel a potato with a nice but you could maybe scrub a carrot to remove dirt and root tags
:chef:

I don't peel carrots, we get the little ones in the bag already cleaned and peeled. Potatoes I cook first, and split the skin when they cool off and just peel the skin off to use the potatoe for what ever meal I am making.

View attachment 789
My kp peels about a sack of carrots and at least 4 sacks of potatoes a week by hand with one ,with no problems,,,
I would peel a potato with a nice but you could maybe scrub a carrot to remove dirt and root tags
oh! I like this! It looks like my old potato peeler, so I should have an easy time using it in the same vane for carrots right? That sounds like it'll be a lot more easy than the one I'm using now! I probably could scrub the carrot too now that I think about it. I wonder if they'd let me get away with that? they have some special obsession with peeling everything in this household.

I don't peel carrots, we get the little ones in the bag already cleaned and peeled. Potatoes I cook first, and split the skin when they cool off and just peel the skin off to use the potatoe for what ever meal I am making.
In my own home, and before I lived here, that's what I usually did. I'd get the small carrots and warm them up in the microwave after washing them to make them slightly less frigid and serve them with dressing or in a salad; my favorite dressing with carrots is either ranch dressing or bleu cheese. I did peel the potatoes before cooking them though...

Well, while I love a good gadget in the kitchen and I find vegetable peelers very useful, I NEVER peel carrots. I just scrub them clean with a soft brush. Carrots don't need to be peeled unlike a sweet potato or a gourd. I don't really peel much of anything; the peel is good for you.

View attachment 789

Looks like an Oxo peeler! I know that handle anywhere!! Hah!! :wink:

The pics look great and I know I have a few around here I remember especially when these conversations come up, but I almost never use any. I'll grab a knife if I must and take what little off the carrots or potatoes. I have been scrubbing and leaving the skin on a lot in both cases.

Last edited:
The pics look great and I know have a few around here I remember especially when these conversations come up but I almost never use any. I'll grab a knife if I must and take what little off the carrots or potatoes. I have been scrubbing and leaving the skin on a lot in both cases.
Using a knife is quite wasteful ,we did a bag of potatoes once by knife and weighed the waste and a bag with a peeler and you would be surprised when I did my costings what wastage there is in not using a peeler,I think a knife on potatoes for me is easier but you do take much more off than you need to

Last edited:
I use a carrot peeler all the time, mine also looks like Shermie's. I mainly peel things like apples, cucumbers, yams, and pears. I didn't use to peel things so much, but after having kids I started doing it when they were young (so as not to choke on a hard to chew peel) and I've stayed in the habit ever since. I don't know if it's true or not, but I also think it helps take off the part that was exposed to the most pesticides while growing (at least that's my train of thought).

Back
Top Bottom