Carrot Peeler: Is it really all that useful?

And not only that, they are very cheap to purchase (see Lakeland if in UK). I use mine a lot.
I have a Lakeland one ,but they do suffer teeth loses ,I bought a similar tool that looks like veg peeler but is called a legumes rapier and had it stolen never found one since it came orIginaly from old Covent Garden ,

Well, I haven't had that problem yet (at least, not with the Julienne grater :ohmy:). Probably, yours gets more use! Do you julienne any other veg with it? I haven't tried celeriac (for Remoulade) yet.

Totally depends on the type of peeler you have. I have one that will peel both ways, so I use it both toward and away from me. Gets the job done really quickly. I also use it for potatoes, apples, cucumbers, etc. It's really more of a vegetable/fruit peeler than just a carrot peeler. Also, because mine has a double blade, my left handed daughter can use it with ease.

I can't say I've ever peeled a carrot. I like to just scrub them and chop them as they are. I can't see how a designated carrot peeler would be any different from a potato peeler though so it's probably advisable just to invest in a top-quality multi-purpose peeler. Unless, of course, you're one of those people who needs no excuse to buy a new kitchen gadget!

I have never heard of a peeler specifically to use on carrots. I just use my old potato peeler to peel anything from potatoes, to apples, to parsnips.to cucumbers and anything else with a peel that I do not want.. All I need is one more gadget to keep track of in my kitchen drawers!!

Well I am reading Berties's 'wasteful" comments a little late. Only last night I decided to make my first carrot cake from scratch. It was one of those impluse decisions. I grabbed the nearest knife, scraped off only a little of what looked damaged and grated my carrots. I am not sure of the outcome. I am waiting to get the reviews but again I never gave a thought to using the 'correct' utensil. I will probably conduct my own experiment. Wastage is never a good thing.

I have never peeled carrots. I only scrap them off with a knife and then wash them. I have been doing it this way for years. It works out okay for me. The peelers that I see in a couple of the posts here are used by me mainly for peeling potatoes or cucumbers. I was not even aware that there was such a thing as a carrot peeler. However, I believe scraping them is the easier and quicker way to go.

Is there really a specific device to peel only carrots? I have a serrated potato peeler that I used for, of course, potatoes, but also carrots, apples, cucumbers and anything else that requires peeling. I have an OXO peeler as well, but I like the nice bite I get from the serrated peeler. And it's bright red.

View attachment 789
Try one of these ,if you haven't a easy grip oxo,
When new watch your nails
My kp peels about a sack of carrots and at least 4 sacks of potatoes a week by hand with one ,with no problems,,,
Will peel a butter nut squash and a swede so they are robust
I would peel a potato with a nice but you could maybe scrub a carrot to remove dirt and root tags
:chef:

This is what I use and would never go back to using a knife except for hard skinned squashes, marrows and pumpkins.

MM

I find it difficult to peel a carrot because they do have such a thin skin and hard flesh. I am not sure whether to increase the pressure of my hand or not so I end up not peeling them at all. Potatoes are good with skin on I wonder if that applies with carrots too.

I find it difficult to peel a carrot because they do have such a thin skin and hard flesh. I am not sure whether to increase the pressure of my hand or not so I end up not peeling them at all. Potatoes are good with skin on I wonder if that applies with carrots too.

Hi yes carrots are good with the skin on if you wash them. Although if doing this I would then roast them. The thin bladed cutter in the photo above is easy to use on the thin skin of carrots, they are easily grated then and eaten raw.

Hi yes carrots are good with the skin on if you wash them. Although if doing this I would then roast them. The thin bladed cutter in the photo above is easy to use on the thin skin of carrots, they are easily grated then and eaten raw.
I have a peeler similar to that photo posted above but for some reasons I may be doing the peeling wrong. I saw one video before they use the shell of mussels to peel the carrots and I think those shells serve a beautiful purpose. Sometimes I use a pairing knife then scrape the skins away.

Back
Top Bottom