Carrots?

Christina C

Veteran
Local time
12:08 AM
Does anybody know if you meant to keep carrots in the fridge to keep them fresher for longer or not.

I got so fed up with getting fresh carrots and in a few days they are gone off. I was getting the frozen ones for a long time, but I find that when you cook the frozen ones they are not as nice and they take longer time to cook them fresh ones.

carrots would normally stay in the soil over winter and survive frosts etc (same with parsnips which are sweet for it) so storing them in the fridge is not a problem and I certainly do.
This doesn't work for me. I have tried to store carrots into the fridge into plastic bags or without any bag but they can only survive for a couple of day.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I throw my carrots right in to the crisper without transferring them to a different bag than they come in (not an airtight bag) and they last for weeks.

Is your fridge too moist?

Or maybe you are just buying carrots that are already prone to going bad quickly, like maybe they are absorbing too much moisture in transport. Thawing a frozen carrot isn't going to have the same effect as eating it fresh, but if you are going to be cooking them, than I'd just freeze.

I throw my carrots right in to the crisper without transferring them to a different bag than they come in (not an airtight bag) and they last for weeks.

Is your fridge too moist?

Or maybe you are just buying carrots that are already prone to going bad quickly, like maybe they are absorbing too much moisture in transport. Thawing a frozen carrot isn't going to have the same effect as eating it fresh, but if you are going to be cooking them, than I'd just freeze.
I bought some carrots and I have then in the fridge and they seem to be ok. I am going to be leaving them in the fridge from now on. How would I know if my fridge was too moist!? I know that's a silly question

I bought some carrots and I have then in the fridge and they seem to be ok. I am going to be leaving them in the fridge from now on. How would I know if my fridge was too moist!? I know that's a silly question

if you have a salad compartment/drawer at the bottom - has it got condensation on the top of it. If it has, it is too moist. Also don't leave veg in plastic bags as it causes them to sweat too much.

if you have a salad compartment/drawer at the bottom - has it got condensation on the top of it. If it has, it is too moist. Also don't leave veg in plastic bags as it causes them to sweat too much.
No I don't have that salad compartment I only have a under the work top fridge. But it's good to know. I don't like to leave any veg in bags I find that it makes them smell as well as sweat

Weirdly, I find that my veggies kind of go through cycles of rotting more quickly sometimes and not as much others. I seriously think it has more to do with what condition they were in when I bought them. And I'm not sure you can always tell if something is going to be good or not. For example, onions. I buy them by the bag (those mesh bags), because we go through them quickly. Sometimes one or two onions will seemingly sit in my fridge for literally upwards of two weeks and be fine when I finally decide to use them. Other times, a few days have gone by and some are mushy on one side.

I guess you just have to find the grocery store or market you can trust the most often.

FWIW: when I'm on my a-game, I like to move all fruits and veggies to air tight plastic or glass wear before storing. It seems to keep everything fresher longer.

Weirdly, I find that my veggies kind of go through cycles of rotting more quickly sometimes and not as much others. I seriously think it has more to do with what condition they were in when I bought them. And I'm not sure you can always tell if something is going to be good or not. For example, onions. I buy them by the bag (those mesh bags), because we go through them quickly. Sometimes one or two onions will seemingly sit in my fridge for literally upwards of two weeks and be fine when I finally decide to use them. Other times, a few days have gone by and some are mushy on one side.

I guess you just have to find the grocery store or market you can trust the most often.

FWIW: when I'm on my a-game, I like to move all fruits and veggies to air tight plastic or glass wear before storing. It seems to keep everything fresher longer.
I have noticed that some veggies go off much faster then others. I know that a lot of supermarkets don't get in fresh veg everyday, and that why we all get caught thinking that they are fresh when they are not. I think thats why they are so cheap these days too.

That explains why the little bag of baby carrots in my fridge, lost their freshness and crispness within a few days. Thanks for the tip. :wink:

My mom has always stored carrots in the fridge, so that is also what I do. I find that it lasts a fair amount of time, if you compare it to other vegetables. My problem with vegetables is that, aside from having to thoroughly wash them, they never last too long. I try to eat them fast, but I always need to throw something away, which I hate doing!

My mom has always stored carrots in the fridge, so that is also what I do. I find that it lasts a fair amount of time, if you compare it to other vegetables. My problem with vegetables is that, aside from having to thoroughly wash them, they never last too long. I try to eat them fast, but I always need to throw something away, which I hate doing!

If we have any veg or salad left over then it goes into the compost bin.

Back
Top Bottom