Cast Iron cookware

kgord

Veteran
Local time
10:50 PM
What is the best way to use and season cast iron cookware and to clean them? what do you recommend? Seems like the ones I have always end up getting something stuck in them and end up getting rusty when I try to clean them..I try to follow instructions but always seem to end up with a problem.

I dry them in the oven with salt,and only wipe them out with a dry cloth and then grease them with a little veg oil before storing ,I have baking tray I have to grease as well

I have a cast iron griddle that I use to make pancakes, scones and welsh cakes. To season it, I coated it in vegetable oil, then heated it slowly, gradually allowing it to get hotter and hotter. Then i allowed it to cool slowly. Now whenever I use it, I give it a light coating of oil, then use it and when it cools down, I wipe it with a
Damp cloth then give it another very light coating of oil. Never immerse it in hot soapy water. If you season it correctly, all you should ever need to do is wipe it, and lightly oil it before putting it away.

The above posts show the correct method. Correct 'seasoning' is everything. And never immerse in soapy water. Personally, I find cast iron a pain in the _ _ _ _! I just use good non-stick. Plus, my arthritic wrists can't can't cope with the weight.:cry:

I have to rummage through my pots and pans to see if I have any cast irons. It seems like all the top chef have and use cast irons. I just remember these "weights" as a young girl growing up at home. I think I should have one so it could double as a weapon.

Well for cooking certain things they recommend cast iron so I like to have some available just in case. Eggs seem to get stuck to them though...I guess if they were prepared properly that wouldn't happen! I have one now that has all this apple stuff stuck to it...I dont know what I am gonna do with that pan???

I am seeing these cast iron set of cook wares in my mom's kitchen while growing up. We rarely use them as far as I can remember. I had used one before but I did not like it. It takes some time before it heats up and I do not like waiting that long. I think the reason for that is slow cooking but I guess I do not have much patience. They come in black right? I did not know that you still have to season them.

I would recommend putting oil all over the pan and just baking it in a 500 degree oven. It will really help in removing everything. Never clean the pan with soap. Use regular water or try a natural non-detergent. If you are to use a detergent, you need to re-season the pan.

We have a non-stick pan and a cast iron. The non-stick is for cooking fried egg or fried pork which normally stick to the pan. But the cast iron is also sometimes used to cook food that sticks to the pan. Like tocino, a cured pork that is sweet, there's always remnants left in the pan that is so difficult to remove. What we do is soak it in water ovenight before cleaning it with soft steel wool. That would do the trick. But if the remnant is so sticky, leave water for another day.

Back
Top Bottom