Cast Iron Restoration

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
3:42 PM
I have a number of cast iron pieces. Some are very old. I have a couple of skillets that belonged to my Paternal Grandmother. 100+ y.o. Other pieces that belonged to my Dad. G. has a saute pan, skillet and a huge dutch oven that belonged to his Dad. My pieces are as smooth as a babies bottom inside and out. G's are crusted inside and out.

Can you see the debate coming?

For several years I have been bugging G. to restore the crusty cast iron. He insist that since it was that way when he inherited the pieces from his Dad that the crud is seasoning. :banghead:

The holidays are fast approaching. I use the dutch oven to braise my Drunk Pork Roast. Lately the crud has been flaking off. :yuck: I do not want carbon flakes in my gravy.

So - With a big sigh and a very sad face I told G. I may have to get another cast iron dutch oven. I can not serve food to my family that is contaminated with carbon flakes.

In the past I have researched methods of restoration. He was not interested. After my not so subtle hint that I would buy a new dutch oven, HE did some research.

G. "I did some research on cast iron. That build up that I thought was seasoning is really crud and not good for the pot." Me: " :eek: Really?" G. "We may have to strip down the dutch oven and season it again before you use it for your pork roast." Me: "What a good idea. Much more cost effective than having to buy a new one."

:hyper:

G. left this morning. He has a very busy week planned. Drive to Houston today and fly to Oklahoma City. Rent a car and drive an hour in the morning for a meeting. Drive back to O.K.C. and fly back to Houston. Tuesday drive to San Antonio for a lunch meeting with clients and a dinner meeting with clients. Wednesday - back to Houston for a lunch meeting. Thursday a company sponsored clay shoot with clients. Drive to south Texas to meet with Company Operators and Superintendents on Friday. Then drive home.

He will be exhausted and in no mood to tackle restoring cookware.

My project for tomorrow is to gather the tools I need and begin the process of restoring the dutch oven. I really can not wait until next weekend since it is a lengthy, time consuming process. The piece has to be stripped then cured. The stripping process may take several days.

The Cast Iron Collector: Information for The Vintage Cookware Enthusiast

I will use the Lye process.

My sweet G. is like the horse that you can lead to water but can not make him drink unless you convince him that he is thirsty. G will fuss and bluster. I will ignore him with a sweet smile and a beautiful, restored dutch oven.

Manipulation? Yep - big time.

G. "I did some research on cast iron. That build up that I thought was seasoning is really crud and not good for the pot." Me: " :eek: Really?" G. "We may have to strip down the dutch oven and season it again before you use it for your pork roast." Me: "What a good idea. Much more cost effective than having to buy a new one."

:hyper:

:roflmao:

I must say that I don't envy you doing the restoration though. What size is the Dutch Oven?

I used lye (Easy-Off) on my skillet the last time I stripped it. It's messy, but not too difficult. Just be prepared for it to take a few applications.

I know some people will run it through a self-clean cycle in the oven and that'll burn a lot of the crud off, then do a round with the lye, though I can't vouch for that.

Back
Top Bottom