Cast iron skillet help!

Kayla

Über Member
Local time
9:15 AM
My fiancé and I are looking to purchase a cast iron skillet (or perhaps more than one of various sizes) and had some questions- are some brands higher quality than others? Is there anything in particular we should look for? What are the advantages/disadvantages of using one? If anyone has any experience cooking with one we would love some tips! We are new to them and are in the process of doing some research. Thank you!

I'd go for the older ones rather than a new one. The iron is is different and, at present, they seem to be presenting themselves as the next best thing. Often with prices to match. The older ones were built/made that way because little else was available.
Any old food places closing down near you? Bought a 22 inch one, amongst other items(stainless steel knives) for just over £3 at one such sale. Required a bit of cleaning.

I was looking into buying one too and I was told I would do better if I purchased an older one because it would be better quality. I have been looking around but have yet to find one. I would also love to find a Dutch oven.

They need care and frequent use to keep them in ' working shape '.
I have an old griddle which is basically a round skillet with a handle and I have just inherited my grandmother's old griddle as we have always called it. It is basically a rectangular lump of cast iron with a small handle on it. The main difference between them and something I would use much more frequently is that my griddle has a tiny lip on it and the handle is such that it can't do in an oven. My grandmother's has no lip at all and needs a lot of attention to get it into working shade again.

DSC_0877.JPG
This is my actual griddle. I love it because it does not stick but the key to that is that it is never ever washed. It is heated hot every time it is used, nothing would survive those temperatures so it does not need to be washed. I also don't use our cook meat or fish on it, but even if I did I would not wash it because that is where people go wrong with them. They have to remain seasoned and that means oil not washing up liquid. When I have finished using it, it is wiped round with kitchen paper when it has cooled, nothing more.

I also have something similar to a Dutch oven, only it is about 2-3 inches deep, nothing more. It is a cross between a deep heavy bottomed frying pan and a shallow, lidded casserole bowl and is fantastic. I use it for almost everything I cook because it is so versatile. Again, it does not get washed, just wiped down after use. I am going to have to look up its make and get a smaller version of it because it is so useful!

Last edited:
I have cast iron skillet cookware I hardly ever use it. Even when I have it well seasoned I find I always get something stuck in it. I think that as Sat Nav says I should probably give up on washing them and just use oil and heat it to high temps. I think my set came from Amazon. It was a Christmas present one year., I was just reading something yesterday they are great for reheating french fries.

Back
Top Bottom