Catering vans

View attachment 27236

Britain's answer to street food. No road in this country is complete without a few of these parked up in lay-by's, offering sausage, bacon and egg sandwiches or the odd burger at £3 a go including a mug of tea. Usually the meat is cheap catering grade stuff; best not inquire on its provenance. However, sometimes it really hits the mark - cheap sausages and a runny egg between two slices of 'plastic' white sliced bread and a mug of steaming hot tea by the side of a busy road just seems to work. Do you use them, or do you even have them in your part of the world?

Never used one myself but I agree that cheap sausages and a runny egg does hit the spot when you need it.

I get the feeling they old traditional cheap and cheerful ones are falling out of fashion in the UK (much like greasy spoon cafes) and being replaced by more up-market versions including ethnic offering.

You still see them on the side of the motorway which can ideal for long distance lorry drivers when they need to take a break, it would be a shame if they disappeared.

Sausages in the rain.

You still see them on the side of the motorway which can ideal for long distance lorry drivers when they need to take a break, it would be a shame if they disappeared.
There are still plenty of them in this part of the world. Not on the side of the motorway though :eek:

I had forgotten about the "Hotdog Carts". They were a big hit because of the bikini clad (very little clad) young ladies that operated them. These were usually on the side of a road and the number of cars and trucks pulled off the road became a traffic problem. The cities/counties created laws requiring that a temporary, 5' high, solid barrier be placed around the area where the cart operated. That killed the business.

Back
Top Bottom