Cauliflower as rice replacement

BWF

Veteran
Local time
12:23 AM
I once tried this recipe for Chinese fried rice using coarsely grated cauliflower as a replacement. It is incredibly healthy and is very easy to make, It's perfect for diabetics and those who are avoiding processed starches.

Just take one large cauliflower and grate it using a grater with larger holes to mimic the appearance of rice grains. I then lightly saute the cauliflower mock rice in a pan with some oil (grapeseed oil is an excellent healthy option) and garlic and onions with some oyster sauce, fish sauce, ground turmeric, curry powder and pepper, The result smells amazing. If you want you can use soy sauce instead of the oyster and fish sauce. You can add anything, slices of fish, chicken, egg, tofu and any kind of greens. You can make vegetarian versions as well,

I've had cauliflower as a mashed potatoes replacement, and I have to be honest, just because it looks the same, it is not the same.

I think I'd have a similar problem substituting it for rice. I can see if you were trying to use up cauliflower that this would be a good idea, but I'm not sure that rice is one of those foods I'd categorize as needing a "healthier" replacement. As it is, I've begun eating more rice in lieu of other things (like potatoes and pasta).

Anyway. I can see it tasting good mixed in to recipes (I'm not a huge cauliflower fan), but I'm not sure I'd have it in my mind as a rice replacement.

That to me is like saying substituting spaghetti squash for spaghetti. It just isn't the same at all. But if you like spaghetti squash, anything you make with it might just be a good meal as it is (even topped with marinara and parm. cheese). But I can't do it with the mentality that one is taking the place of another. I have to just think: this is just different.

I once tried this recipe for Chinese fried rice using coarsely grated cauliflower as a replacement. It is incredibly healthy and is very easy to make, It's perfect for diabetics and those who are avoiding processed starches.

Just take one large cauliflower and grate it using a grater with larger holes to mimic the appearance of rice grains. I then lightly saute the cauliflower mock rice in a pan with some oil (grapeseed oil is an excellent healthy option) and garlic and onions with some oyster sauce, fish sauce, ground turmeric, curry powder and pepper, The result smells amazing. If you want you can use soy sauce instead of the oyster and fish sauce. You can add anything, slices of fish, chicken, egg, tofu and any kind of greens. You can make vegetarian versions as well,

I saw something similar on a Jamie Oliver programme, it is a great idea, I like cauliflower and it is a thought to try something different.

Do try it! It is such a healthy alternative and I never feel guilty when I eat a lot of it! Since it is so rich in fiber, you feel satiated and full more easily than when you eat rice so this means you don't overeat.

I also like to add some Indian spices like garam masala or Madras curry to the "rice" and also top it with a hard-boiled egg.

Do try it! It is such a healthy alternative and I never feel guilty when I eat a lot of it! Since it is so rich in fiber, you feel satiated and full more easily than when you eat rice so this means you don't overeat.

I also like to add some Indian spices like garam masala or Madras curry to the "rice" and also top it with a hard-boiled egg.

Sounds like a great idea, will definitely try it :thumbsup:

Some friends of mine use cauliflower not only as a substitute for rice or potatoes, but also for flour. They are trying a form of low-carb-diet and they are always telling me how good those meals taste. I haven't had the chance to try them yet, but I definitely will. :wink:

I love cauliflower rice! It's also great as 'steak.' Just slice it pretty thick, put some olive oil and seasoning on a cookie sheet and bake. It's great.

When you make mashed cauliflower, it's better if you steam the cauliflower first and then puree it in a food processor with the seasoning, along with something like cream or butter (I actually loved it with cream cheese mixed in it). Bake the mixture, and then enjoy! I think it'll taste great as a topping on shepherd's pie.

I've had cauliflower as a mashed potatoes replacement, and I have to be honest, just because it looks the same, it is not the same.

I tried cauliflower as a replacement for mashed potatoes. I didn't like it one bit. I thought I made a mistake in the recipe and made it again. Nope, it was just plain nasty. It's definitely not for me.

I think I'd have a similar problem substituting it for rice. I can see if you were trying to use up cauliflower that this would be a good idea, but I'm not sure that rice is one of those foods I'd categorize as needing a "healthier" replacement. As it is, I've begun eating more rice in lieu of other things (like potatoes and pasta).

I won't be trying cauliflower as a rice substitute because of my previous experience.

That to me is like saying substituting spaghetti squash for spaghetti. It just isn't the same at all. But if you like spaghetti squash, anything you make with it might just be a good meal as it is (even topped with marinara and parm. cheese). But I can't do it with the mentality that one is taking the place of another. I have to just think: this is just different.

I do want to try the spaghetti squash substitution as I have given up pasta altogether. Spaghetti is one of my favorites so anything that close will be good....as long as it taste good. :wink:

I do want to try the spaghetti squash substitution as I have given up pasta altogether. Spaghetti is one of my favorites so anything that close will be good....as long as it taste good. :wink:

No no no. That's that I'm saying. It's not close. Not even a little bit. Don't go into the squash idea with any thought of spaghetti in mind, and you might be fine. It is otherwise a completely different meal experience, from flavor, to texture, to moisture… all of it. Just a totally different meal. If you mentally prep your pallet for spaghetti, you'll be disappointed. If you mentally come in with an open mind that you are trying a new way to enjoy SQUASH, you might be pleasantly surprised.

:)

I've always loved cauliflower but I've never thought of using it as a rice substitute. Stir frys are one of my go to meals, so I'll have to try this recipe with some tofu, broccoli, chilli and lime.

We like to try different things so this forum is coming in very useful with peoples suggestions, cookery books are fine but sometimes it is the home cooked/thrown together recipes that can really stand out.

I would actually try this and if I like it that will be great because I'm getting another one of my five a day!:) I'm just not too sure the cauliflower would get soft enough in the pan. Mine would probably end up slightly hard and chewy. I would also use sesame oil with mine for extra flavour and maybe even some chicken and of course soy sauce.

I tried cauliflower as a replacement for mashed potatoes. I didn't like it one bit. I thought I made a mistake in the recipe and made it again. Nope, it was just plain nasty. It's definitely not for me.

I think the main problem with using cauliflower as a mashed potato replacement is that we expect it to actually taste like mashed potatoes and it simply won't! The texture is all wrong! If you want to cut down on the starch, it's much better to do it half-n-half or only mix in a little bit of cauliflower to "thin it down" some. To replace it flat out doesn't have the same kind of creamy goodness and is always such a letdown.

Oh yum! I've done cauli-rice many times. One of my favorites ways is adding some cinnamon, dried apricots, pine-nuts and maybe a few raisins to the cooked up cauli-rice. Hubby and I like the 'chinese' version a lot but kids don't help us eat that one very well. I've also done it mashed up like potatoes would be and although not bad, I prefer making it into a rice. Funny, I saw a version of steak cauliflower in today's paper, I'd never thought/heard of doing that before.

Back
Top Bottom