Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:23 PM
DSCF2561.jpg

Photographed yesterday in natural light

Cavolo Nero
Cabbage is the current chosen ingredient The CookingBites Recipe Challenge and I've been creating a few recipes using Cavolo Nero and thought that as some of you may not have come across it, I would write something.

You could regard it as the sexy cousin of kale. It is also sometimes called Black Cabbage or Black Kale. Its leaves are a deep dark green, almost reptilian in appearance, with a bubbled and corrugated surface, rather like the outer leaves of Savoy cabbage. But this is where the similarity ends. Cavolo Nero is dark green, and lean; no bloated shape and no pale heart. Its elegant long leaves retain their texture and darken to almost black when cooked. It’s attractive crinkled appearance has made it popular with chefs looking for a more interesting alternative to better-known cabbage varieties. The bubbled surface of the leaves is excellent for retaining sauces, so it can be used to good effect in pasta dishes. Its dramatic colour (think of green as the new black) looks stunning with red or yellow accompaniments so its also good in stir-fries or soup.

As befits kale’s chic cousin, Cavolo Nero is Italian by birth, originating from Tuscany. The distinct wrinkles on the leaves are caused by the drop in temperatures during their growing season, which helps to sweeten the final taste. For the last few years it has been grown successfully in Lincolnshire in the UK and sales in Britain have been rocketing. Until recently, it could only be purchased from the more up market supermarkets in the UK and I’m not sure how available it is in other countries. But just this week I bought the handsome bunch featured in the photograph above, from my local Aldi (a cut-pirce UK supermarket). It was grown here in the UK and cost me just 79p!

Last edited:
Oh Jesus! This jumped me right now Morning Glory. Whew!!! My first glance at it gave me a little scare thinking it was a creature of some sort. You never cease to amaze me with your research and finds. I just know if and when it reaches us as a sexy cousin of Kale it's going to be pretty penny. Undue alarm aside I would love to be the first to introduce it to my cooking buddies.

I have never even seen it before but it looks kind of scary to. It gives me shivers just thinking of touching it. lol I will have to check around and see if I can actually buy it here. They may have it at the local market.

I have never even seen it before but it looks kind of scary to. It gives me shivers just thinking of touching it. lol I will have to check around and see if I can actually buy it here. They may have it at the local market.
Its probably the way I photographed it which makes it look scary! :D

Reactions: L_B
upload_2016-1-27_8-47-9.jpeg
This right here is scary which is the seaweed that invaded our shores some time last year. I expect @morning glory can explain this better than I can with her vast knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom