Recipe Cebolla Quinoa Filling Appetizers

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
10:04 AM
Ingredients:

black quinoa (about 100 g)
onion ( 1 medium or half a large, if you like, you could use a whole large onion)
garlic (2 cloves)
bay leave (1)
sultanas (handful, 70 g)
salt (to taste)
brown sugar (1 teaspoon)
ground coriander (1 teaspoon)
butter (70 g)
lemon (to squeeze some juice, half)
Mozzarella (80 g, I used two semi thin slices)
Trapist cheese (50 g, or as much as you need for the remaining filling)

Method:

1. I washed the quinoa and cooked it with water and two pinches of salt and the bay leave. The ratio was roughly 1:2, maybe 1:2,5. Cook for about 25 minutes. I let it steam under a lid for further 20 minutes. It soaked in all the water.
  2. Put the sultanas in water to rehydrate.
  3. In a hot pan pour ground coriander to develop the aroma, add butter, chopped onions and garlic, add salt. Turn down the heat (4/9), gently stirr and saute.
  4. Add sultanas after 7-9 minutes. Stirr for another minute or two.
  5. Add quinoa (without the bay leave), stirr for 2 minutes.
  6. Cool down. It can be just a little bit warm.
  7. Prepare mozzarella slices and Trapist cheese slice, you may want to cut decoratively or not, as you wish. You may use vegetables to garnish, I used tomato.
  8. Place quinoa on top of the cheese slices and serve.
  9. Provide lemon, if desired. I find lemon juice, a few drops over to go really well.
  10. Enjoy.
The cooked quinoa holds very well in the fridge for 2 days. The filling holds in the fridge well. I reheated it the next day and had brunch.

The filling is very tasty nd so simple to make. The sweetness of the onion and the sultanas, the buttery creaminess and the zang of the coriander (and the scent in the house is amazing) and discreetly garlic is wonderful. The quinoa is light when eating but it does fill you up.

I really love this filling a lot, hope you would enjoy it too. The filling is versatile, it can be a fillling for omelette rolls, savoury pancakes, tortillas for sure...

I tried baked onions as 2boats2 for the filling, but the top part was too dry, so then I tried a barley pie crust but it was a little to conflicting the barley and the quinoa, plus the crust fell apart, so the cheese boats were the simplest solution, and I would gladly serve it when entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom