Char siu

JAS_OH1 , Where I come from, mostly the Pork Belly is used to make Char Siu, I can't get that here in Cowboyville.
So Those first few pics are Pork Butt and then that later are boneless Country Ribs.
I buy the pre-made marinade but I've oodles of recipes online to make your own.
What I've learned over the years is during the last maybe 5 minutes of cook time, put the tray under the broiler and baste each side with honey, it's lovely!
Yum. I've got some baby back ribs in the freezer outside, bet those would be good. I have been doing a lot of reading online, comparing recipes and ingredients, there is a lot to digest out there (pardon my pun).

No hurry no worry, enjoy your evening 😉
Char siu part is done (as you can see), I'll get back to the lamb stuff in a bit. There were something like four topics entangled in that short ribs thread, and it's a little work to separate them all out. Work in progress, bear with me.

Char siu part is done (as you can see), I'll get back to the lamb stuff in a bit. There were something like four topics entangled in that short ribs thread, and it's a little work to separate them all out. Work in progress, bear with me.
Hey, I know I'm not the only person who appreciates the donation of your time. Working for free...thank you.

Ok so I just made my char siu sauce for the first time ever. I have a question: is it char sui or char siu? I have seen it spelled both ways in the forum and elsewhere online.

Anyway, I had some thick pork loin chops I took out of the freezer and thawed. I have an idea of what I want to do and not sure it is going to work, but going to try it anyway. I plan on putting some sauce on those thin slices of pork to marinade them, then dredge them lightly in cornstarch, then pan fry them in my wok with a little bit of oil. Then I will coat them in more char sui sauce, served with a side of basmati and some veggies. Kind of an orange chicken/General Tso's chicken technique but using pork and char siu instead...fingers crossed.

I also have a pork tenderloin in the freezer I am planning on cooking in the traditional method with the sauce in a few days (I made plenty of the sauce).

It is usually Romanized (from Cantonese which is a Chinese dialect) as 'char siew' or 'char siu'.
Thanks! I saw you made it, posted in anther thread and looked lovely. Was wondering if you made your own sauce?

Thanks! I saw you made it, posted in anther thread and looked lovely. Was wondering if you made your own sauce?

I've made it a couple of times from this recipe and I think it's pretty close to what we can get from the roast meat vendors round here.

Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork), Restaurant-Style - The Woks of Life

[EDIT] BTW I usually use shoulder/butt for Char Siu - it has the right combination of lean/fat to me and bonus: it's cheap! But any fattier cut will do. I go to my pork vendor at the wet market near me, tell her I want to make Char Siu and she sorts me out. :)

Last edited:
Ok so I just made my char siu sauce for the first time ever. I have a question: is it char sui or char siu? I have seen it spelled both ways in the forum and elsewhere online.

Anyway, I had some thick pork loin chops I took out of the freezer and thawed. I have an idea of what I want to do and not sure it is going to work, but going to try it anyway. I plan on putting some sauce on those thin slices of pork to marinade them, then dredge them lightly in cornstarch, then pan fry them in my wok with a little bit of oil. Then I will coat them in more char sui sauce, served with a side of basmati and some veggies. Kind of an orange chicken/General Tso's chicken technique but using pork and char siu instead...fingers crossed.

I also have a pork tenderloin in the freezer I am planning on cooking in the traditional method with the sauce in a few days (I made plenty of the sauce).
So those thin strips of marinated pork loin (marinated in the char siu sauce overnight) that I dredged in corn starch (corn flour to UK and some other countries) are magical. I fried a few up as an expirement since it's not quite our dinner time just yet. I used a bit of sesame oil and grapeseed oil in the wok and fried them, then dipped them in the char siu sauce. YUM. Tender, crispy, and flavorful.

I am going to make some sauteed spinach and I have some leftover basmatic rice to serve on the side...I actually gave the basmati a quick stir with some garlic, a little more sesame oil, and a dash of soy sauce in the wok. Pretty darned good!

Back
Top Bottom