Recipe Cheating Chicken Paella

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
10:58 PM
It cooks beautifully in a large frying pan or wok on an open fire. Great winter warming camp food!

Ingredients:

1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large onion (sliced)
1 100g pack of Chorizo Sausage (chopped)
1 kg chicken (cut into bite-sized strips)
3 tsp turmeric
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1.66 litres stock made with vegetable or Italian OXO.
500g Paella or risotto rice
300g peas (fresh or frozen)
Any other bits of soft veg you fancy (like chopped mushroom, tomato etc)

Method:
1) Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and soften for 5 mins without browning.
2) Add the chorizo and start to fry for a minute or so.
3) Add the chicken and fry until lightly browned on all sides.
4) Add the rice and the turmeric and stir all together until the rice is well coated. (at this point it will look pretty awful. Never fear!)
5) Pour in the stock and bring to the boil (keep stirring to prevent sticking).
6) When it is boiling add the peas and whatever other bits of veg you are using. Give it all a good stir then cover the pan and turn it down to a gentle simmer.
7) Simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally to prevent it sticking.
8) Check one bit of chicken to be absolutely certain that it is cooked right through.
9) Serve.

Serves 6

NOTES:
* Ratio of Rice to Stock is vital (100g rice to 333ml Stock)

* Raw Chicken can be dangerous.
Don't let raw chicken contaminate other ingredients.
Wash knives, boards and plates that you have used for raw chicken thoroughly, before you use them for anything else.
After handling raw chicken WASH YOUR HANDS with soap and hot water before touching anything else. (Including surfaces, tools etc)

* Don't worry, COOKED chicken is, of course PERFECTLY SAFE!!!

ENJOY!

We did a paella on the beach the other day over charcoal ,I came by a few paella pans from a Spanish import company ,I used saffron not turmeric that a cost increaser I know ,but it is a simple dish to do and add to,and is very popular street food at the moment

We did a paella on the beach the other day over charcoal ,I came by a few paella pans from a Spanish import company ,I used saffron not turmeric that a cost increaser I know ,but it is a simple dish to do and add to,and is very popular street food at the moment
Its just not paella without saffron! But saffron could be easily substituted for turmeric in the above recipe.

I've always wanted to make this dish, but I haven't done it yet.
A lot of things can be put in it, ranging from chicken to seafood!! :wink:

Dozen recipes would have it and 2 not ,but it's a rabbit dish in the hills where my brother in law has his villa near valencia
Yup! I've also heard that of it as a rabbit dish. I think its like many famous ethnic dishes - a recipe which can be adapted according to geography and availability of ingredients.

Personally I prefer it without chorizo. I think I've developed an aversion to this ingredient. It wasn't popular here until about 10 to 12 years ago, but it now paints multiple menus red. Its become so commonplace in all sorts of recipes (and I do understand why) but I find it tends to dominate the other flavours. If I put chorizo in any old pasta dish I know all my family will like it (except the veggie daughter and me). I think thats why its so often used. It can transform a bland dish. I've just eaten it far too often... that smoky, slightly salty hot taste... OK in moderation, but I'm fed up with it.

I know that paella is very difficult to cook. With the myriad of ingredients and the kilometric procedure, I would rather dine out and spend money than exert effort. There is a dining place where they serve the best paella that we had tasted. It is called Dulcinea, a Spanish restaurant. Their paella there is fantastic and I don't think there can be a better paella than what they serve. How I relish the tender pork cuts, the tasty chicken parts and the seafood mix. Truly, it is one good dining experience.

Well the recipe sounds good but I am unfamiliar with paella and if it's difficult then it's not calling my name. I am also not big on sausages so that would be left out. I think it is the cheating that caught my attention. The kitchen is the one place I like to cheat and not surprisingly, I'd have to cheat with this dish as well.

Back
Top Bottom