Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
2:14 AM
[Mod.Edit: posts moved to new thread (MG)]

What is that?
A cheese ball (or cheeseball), a holiday/party staple here:

Spruce Eats

They come in all sizes, and any flavor of cheese you can imagine…you can make it into a cheese ball.

Recipes vary, but it’s basically some complementary cheeses shredded, then mixed with cream cheese, various seasonings and rolled in crushed nuts or finely chopped meat, there’s usually some fresh herbs involved, and it gets shaped into a ball, plopped on a plate, and smeared onto crackers.

Last edited by a moderator:
A cheese ball (or cheeseball), a holiday/party staple here:

View attachment 89264
Spruce Eats

They come in all sizes, and any flavor of cheese you can imagine…you can make it into a cheese ball.

Recipes vary, but it’s basically some complementary cheeses shredded, then mixed with cream cheese, various seasonings and rolled in crushed nuts or finely chopped meat, there’s usually some fresh herbs involved, and it gets shaped into a ball, plopped on a plate, and smeared onto crackers.
Is that bacon on the one in the photo? I would eat that. My mom always made weird ones for the holidays with pimentos or some other weird bits in the cheese and encrusted with nuts.

I always thought cheeseball was Uncle Ernie or any loud-mouthed drunken relative who was known for telling inappropriate, ribald and often cheesy jokes at holiday parties!

What is that?
My version of a Cheeseball
img_5581.jpg

Three different flavored bite-sized cuties on pretzel sticks.
This made for easier serving, no utensils involved, no chance of any "double dipping" or any of that sort of thing when at a gathering.
There's Bacon & Ranch, Garlic & Herb (dried Chives) and Toasted Pecan with dried Cranberries.
Really good!
I need to make this again...

My version of a Cheeseball
View attachment 89268
Three different flavored bite-sized cuties on pretzel sticks.
This made for easier serving, no utensils involved, no chance of any "double dipping" or any of that sort of thing when at a gathering.
There's Bacon & Ranch, Garlic & Herb (dried Chives) and Toasted Pecan with dried Cranberries.
Really good!
I need to make this again...
Clever! I love pecans and with cranberries that sounds very nice. I really, really like the idea of the bacon w ranch and garlic w herb especially, though.

Clever! I love pecans and with cranberries that sounds very nice. I really, really like the idea of the bacon w ranch and garlic w herb especially, though.
I was just thinking of posting up my recipe ...

I was just thinking of posting up my recipe ...
Well you could always write it up and not post it then wait for the holidays...and/or a recipe challenge! I mean, chances are no one is going to make them this time of year and might be best to wait until right before Thanksgiving anyway so the recipe doesn't get lost before then.

Is that bacon on the one in the photo?
That might be finely chopped dried beef…the stuff in the lunchmeat case (and MrsT’s choice for dried beef gravy):

Walmart

That stuff is very popular for cheeseballs.

That might be finely chopped dried beef…the stuff in the lunchmeat case (and MrsT’s choice for dried beef gravy):

View attachment 89270
Walmart

That stuff is very popular for cheeseballs.
Yeah right that's chipped beef, my husband likes that stuff creamed over toast, LOL, same thing as your wife right? SOS, anyone?

I am rooting for bacon, personally! But my question is: would the bacon get soggy if the cheeseballs were made too far in advance, or would the bacon just need to be extra crispy? I think kaneohegirlinaz would know since she made those little mini ones?

would the bacon get soggy if the cheeseballs
I use thick-cut bacon, diced and fried. It does go a wee bit soft, but I think that’s a good thing, as the last thing I want is something hard and crunchy in my cheeseball. Even nuts are fairly soft.

I use thick-cut bacon, diced and fried. I’d do it goes a wee bit soft, but I think that’s a good thing, as the last thing I want is something hard and crunchy in my cheeseball. Even nuts are fairly soft.
Yeah, I think pistachios would be a good nut to use. My mom always used walnuts. I don't like walnuts. I hate running across a cheeseball at a holiday party at an acquaintance's home and wondering what's in it. I am polite enough to not ask, but scared to try it in case it's something I don't like.

Oooh goat cheese and pistachios or goat cheese and pecans with the dried cranberries...I wonder where I will even be for the holidays this year...

Yeah, I think pistachios would be a good nut to use. My mom always used walnuts. I don't like walnuts.
I don’t like any nuts in mine, so I wait until someone else has cracked one open, then I just get my bits from inside that outer layer of nuts.

I’ve never had a cheeseball with nuts mixed in, just rolled in it.

I don’t like any nuts in mine, so I wait until someone else has cracked one open, then I just get my bits from inside that outer layer of nuts.

I’ve never had a cheeseball with nuts mixed in, just rolled in it.
Yes, exactly, and they are prominently displayed around the "crust", but often they are crushed so it's not always easy to tell what kind. Also not knowing what kind of cheese is being used. I would hate to put something in my mouth and then have to quickly find a spot where no one can see me so I can spit it into a napkin...

My Mini Chesseballs are made with pre-made chopped Bacon from Walmart.
Here's how I do it:
Recipe - Mini Cheeseballs
Geez!
Now I want to eat that 👆
Ya know guys, the sky's the limit as to different flavor combos ... I like the idea of Pistachio and Goat Cheese.
Hmmm, when is our next Neighborhood Gal Pals gathering? I may need to host it, just so I can make this 🤭

My Mini Chesseballs are made with pre-made chopped Bacon from Walmart.
Here's how I do it:
Recipe - Mini Cheeseballs
Geez!
Now I want to eat that 👆
Ya know guys, the sky's the limit as to different flavor combos ... I like the idea of Pistachio and Goat Cheese.
Hmmm, when is our next Neighborhood Gal Pals gathering? I may need to host it, just so I can make this 🤭
Oh yes, of course. You do have regular gatherings so I see how this is an "anytime of year" thing for you. I think most of us are more seasonal, however.

Back
Top Bottom