Chemical Free Cleaning In Kitchen

Pat

Veteran
Local time
3:34 PM
Using chemical cleaners in the kitchen can be dangerous. We want the kitchen clean and free of germs but do not want to cause any health problems to our family or pets. The surface of the counter that has been wiped down with bleach may have a residue of bleach on it which can get into your food if you place your food on the counter.

An alternative cleaner would be to use hydrogen perixode and vinegar. Hp is an excellent germ killer and very cost effective. Mixed with vinegar the two will clean the surface of your counter and kill the germs.

I use the combination in the bathroom also. The toilet in the hall bath had an odor that I just could not get rid of, I poured hp all along the rim of the bowl to get rid of the odor.

I too would prefer to use chemical-free cleaners in my kitchen, since I think it is safer. When cleaning the stove especially, I would prefer something mild but yet effective, since the stove has to be free of any chemical remains before being lighted. I think something like baking soda would be good for cleaning kitchen counters as well as around the sink. It is not only safe, but is good for taking away odors too, plus the baking soda itself is not highly scented, so it is safe to inhale, while inhaling too much of the chemical cleaners could be hazardous.

I think something like baking soda would be good for cleaning kitchen counters as well as around the sink. It is not only safe, but is good for taking away odors too, plus the baking soda itself is not highly scented, so it is safe to inhale, while inhaling too much of the chemical cleaners could be hazardous.
Baking soda is safe except when it's mixed with vinegar. The combination of the two does make a powerful natural cleaner, but you must avoid getting it on your skin as direct contact will result in blisters or burns.

I have to say, using chemical free cleaners is always the very best route to take especially when you have little children always running around the kitchen and the house in general.
I agree with the hydrogen peroxide and vinegar mix, it actually works wonders especially in the bathroom and drains. The baking soda with vinegar suggestion I haven't tried out but I feel that from both Caribbean girl and Food4thought's explanation it would be a good one to try out next time I do a bit of spring cleaning.
Thanks for the share everyone!

While I do agree that vinegar is good for cleaning, I do not use it as I am not particularly fond of the smell. I prefer products that are more mildly scented. I have never considered mixing baking soda with anything else before, but thanks for the tip. Even something as mild as dish washing liquid, when used with a scrub bud, can be effective when it comes to cleaning counters. I have tried using this before.

As much as possible I opt not to use cleansers with chemicals at home especially in the kitchen where it deals directly with the preparation and cooking the foods we are eating. To be safe I used vinegar, baking soda and lemon separately and they had their own use. And it really helps in my cleaning procedures in the kitchen, bathroom or other parts of the house.

I have a really difficult time cleaning with vinegar. No matter what I do the smell is just something company cannot stand. I don't mind it & I also don't feel like it's overwhelming but i did have to slow down my usage. Is there anything I can do to get rid of or naturally mask the smell? Perhaps my measurements are off & I am using too much vinegar?

Baking soda is safe except when it's mixed with vinegar. The combination of the two does make a powerful natural cleaner, but you must avoid getting it on your skin as direct contact will result in blisters or burns.

Baking soda and vinegar are fantastic natural cleaners when used together but Food4thought is right, you need to make sure you're wearing decent rubber gloves. I learnt this the hard way!

Back
Top Bottom