Chick peas

Local time
10:45 AM
Website
www.helium.com
Chick peas are a good source of protein and fibre, and are also filling. I often add them to soups, stews casseroles and curries to make the meet go further, and to add an extra layer of flavour and texture.

I always keep a jar of cooked chick peas on hand, because I tend to forget to put dried chick peas in to soak the night before I need them. However, I do think the chick peas you soak and prepare yourself are superior to the ready cooked ones.

Do you use chick peas? Any suggestions for different ways to serve them?

I love chickpeas and much prefer the dried ones. The good news is that you don't have to soak them overnight. there is a quick soak method which I often use as well - the cooking simply takes longer and you have to change the water. I will try to dig out the instructions... (it applied to a lot of beans as well). As for recipes - have some great ones especially a lovely spicey chickpea salad which I will locate for you tomorrow and post it up.
Have you tried brown chickpeas? some of my recipe books ask for brown chickpeas rather than conventional ones and I would love to locate and try some!

Quick soaking chickpeas. Large pan, chickpea ration 1:3 of water... so plenty of water basically. Bring to boil from cold, boil 2-3 mins (longer is not really an issue - so upto 5 mins is fine) and remove from heat - cover and allow to stand for an hour. drain water and now cook as you would if they had been soaked overnight.

Back
Top Bottom