1/4 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons mirin
1 pound coarsely ground chicken
2 tsp kosher salt
1 medium shallot, minced
Finely grated zest of 1 yuzu or lemon
1 TB vegetable oil

Directions
In a saucepan, combine the sake, soy sauce, sugar and 1/4 cup of the mirin; boil until reduced to 3/4 cup, 3 minutes. Let cool.

Preheat the oven to 375°. In a bowl, combine the chicken, salt, shallot, zest and the remaining 2 tablespoons of mirin. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Form the chicken mixture into 24 meatballs. Brush the meatballs with the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and arrange them on the baking sheet. Bake for about 6 minutes, until the meatballs are barely cooked through.

Light a grill. Thread the meatballs onto 8 bamboo skewers and grill over moderately high heat, turning, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and brush the meatballs with the sauce. Grill, turning and brushing, until glazed, 30 seconds longer. Serve with the remaining sauce.

Recipe courtesy of Food & Wine

Very nice and simple to do - plus low calorie! Did you use skewers?
Thanks!

Yes - funny story, that.

The recipe calls for skewering them and finishing them on the outdoor grill, and I had also planned on the grilled veg kabobs as a side.

I own four metal skewers, so I meant to buy some wooden ones, but forgot that, of course, and as soon as it came time to spear them, I realized I had enough skewers for one dish, but not the other, so I had to do the par-baking of the meatballs, then grill the veg while that was going on, then once those were done, hold the veg in the still-warm oven while I used the same skewers to finish the meatballs.

Had the leftover meatballs for lunch today, with brown rice, and I have to say, having sat overnight, the lemon flavor has really intensified, which is good, as ground chicken can be a bit bland. I’d go as far as recommending making these a day ahead of time and having the next day.

Back
Top Bottom