Chickpea patties

Pat

Veteran
Local time
7:34 PM
Recently I made a burger pattie out of chickpeas instead of blackbeans. I ground up the chickpeas, added an egg, seasonings and browned it just as I would a blackbean burger. The pattie was good and better when I added spicey brown mustard to it. The chickpea pattie was better to me than the blackbean pattie.

Any one ever make a chickpea pattie?

That sounds great. You inspired me, I'll try it today. What kind of seasonings did you add? Cumin, paprika and garlic might be good, but I guess that would be similar to recreating a hummus like flavor.

Also this sounds like it might taste similar to falafel, minus the deep fry. Great idea!

I have had a commercially produced veggie burger with chickpeas and I really like it. I don't get it often, because I am not big on packaged foods, but it's nice to have in the freezer for days when you need something quick and don't have time to cook. I hadn't considered making my own; I'll have to give that some thought.

I love chickpeas but have never had a chickpea patty. I'm not a big meat eater , so this would probably really be enjoyable for me. Did you use canned chickpeas for your recipe and I'm also curious as to which spices you used?

I often have chickpea patties. I usually include a chopped onion which has been fried in spices before hand. Usually yellow and black mustard seeds, tumeric, asafoetida, ground common and ground coriander and if I want to spices it up a touch some chillie powder. I will also mash the chickpeas up a touch as well. A tablespoon of chopped fresh coriander and some lemon adds another dimension to the patties as well.

Cooking the chickpeas with crushed garlic is also a nice way of adding a little extra taste to them if you use dried chickpeas.

I often have chickpea patties. I usually include a chopped onion which has been fried in spices before hand. Usually yellow and black mustard seeds, tumeric, asafoetida, ground common and ground coriander and if I want to spices it up a touch some chillie powder. I will also mash the chickpeas up a touch as well. A tablespoon of chopped fresh coriander and some lemon adds another dimension to the patties as well.

Cooking the chickpeas with crushed garlic is also a nice way of adding a little extra taste to them if you use dried chickpeas.
Thanks for all the ideas for chickpea patties. I do like the idea of onion, chili powder and garlic but will definitely experiment with a couple of the other spices you have mentioned.

Chickpea patties sound delicious, I haven't tried making them myself and I have to say it sounds easy enough!
Thanks for the idea and suggestion, I will give it a try and see where it takes me. It will save me from buying ready made patties which I sometimes don't really enjoy much.

i do a chic pea canapé served with minted yogurt, soak the chic peas for 24 hours simmer them till very soft,i then sweat a finely cut onion garlic and a mild chilli with some cumin then add the drained chic peas and some chopped corriander ,lightly whiz in the food processor,re season,allow to chill slightly,not till cold,mould in to balls and chill completely
then roll in corn flour,and dip in a tempura batter and deep fry drain on kitchen paper and thats job done

Back
Top Bottom