Child friendly camp fire ideas

Imsotiredofnuggets

Local time
3:33 PM
Hello!

I am a Scout leader in my area. I am wondering if anyone has ideas for camp fire recipes other than smores, beans and hotdogs. Looking for like an old family recipe of something unique and awesome! Google just gives me ads and nonsense. I figured people on here would have awesome ideas! Something that kids aged 8-14 can cook and show others how to make.

Thank you!

If you bring your own grill to set over the embers, you can do just about anything, including chicken, hamburgers, etc. And if you bring your own rustic pots and pans, much more is possible. Bare bones cooking on the end of a stick is not the only alternative.

Anything you might do on a picnic, you can do around a campfire, except, in the dark, by fire light.

Popcorn, while not really thought of as a meal, can be a lot of fun, I think. You can go the easy route and use Jiffy Pop (we've done that here) or go all-in and get a purpose-made campfire popcorn popper. I'm not sure of the price for one there, but here, Google says you can get one for less than $25US.

Baked potatoes - but I recommend wrapping them in foil, as caseydog suggests, so they don´t explode!
Other things you can do in foil : beetroot, with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Whole onions, drizzled with honey and hot sauce.
Well beetroot and whole onions are not usually very kid friendly, LOL!

You may be right - but I´ve got a dysfunctional family. They´re the only two vegetables my son will eat.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'm pretty sure your son is not a child...well a lot of men might have childish tendencies but i meant chronologically, lol :laugh:

Same thing with the grandson. Put broccoli on his plate and he says:
"Green NO!":laugh::laugh:
Yeah, wild. My kids all love vegetables, but I started feeding them veggies young. They like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach, etc. And still do as adults 27-33 in age.

Back
Top Bottom