Childhood meal

sandra0530

Veteran
Local time
9:53 AM
What was your favorite meal that either your mom or dad made as a child when you were growing up?

I was brought up in a Polish family and still to this day pierogi are my favorite, but now that I am old I am the one who makes them and it is such a pain in the butt -__-

Mine was my grannie's vegetable lasagne or her pancakes or her fried mushroom & onion on toast (the secret was to fry the mushroom first on a very hot heat until they squeak, then add the onions. (My mother can't cook for the life of her.)

My grannie died 3 years ago and now I make the veg lasagne for my mother, step-father but mostly for my grandfather.
Last weekend, my mother & grandfather (my step-father is in hospital again) had the fried mushrooms & onions on staffordshire oatcakes - one of the few things I never recall having at my Grannie's (that is staffordshire oatcakes, my Grannie being welsh, my Grandfather being from the Stoke-on-Trent area.)

Omigosh. My mom's spaghetti, which was pretty much store bought noodles, store bought sauce (Preggo, not Ragu), Italian sausage on the grill, and parmesan cheese.
We were allowed to have any meal we wanted (home cooked or a restaurant) on our birthdays, and this is what I always picked. I bet my mom thought, "Yes! It is so cheap and easy!"

Even today, eating spaghetti like this makes me crave a big fat glass of cold milk.

My favorite childhood meal was fried macaroni topped with shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Mom loved to cook this dish every week but it was never enough to me. I could eat this dish on a daily basis.

I also liked at zucchini creamy soup that mom took from a very, very old recipe booklet that came into a flour package. Overtime she lost the recipe and nobody has been able to replicate this soup since.

I remember my mom's bread and rice puddings. They were the best and I am yet to taste anything close to what she made. Sadly, I will never be able to have it again, as she is in eternal peace.

So, that's my favorite.

Can't name a specific food but I have a huge weakness for all of my grandmother's cooking! I still love to go there to eat whenever I'm visiting my home country.

Mine would have to be bacon and cabbage. Wouldn't you know I was Irish. I still live bacon and cabbage to this day.

My favorite dish from my childhood is actually spaghetti and meatballs, which is weird, because I'm Korean. My mom did her best, but she was an awful cook, just awful. My best friend growing up was a little Italian boy and his mom was an AMAZING cook who loved to feed me. I still think about her spaghetti and meatballs from time to time. Ah, the good old days.

My grandmother was a Yorkshire lass and when us kids visited she would make a big yorkshire pudding which we shared smeared with her home made raspberry jam. Happy days :)

In New Zealand savory pies are common and when I became vegetarian I missed the pastry and eating potato top pies/ Shepard's pie, so my mom would make me a special macaroni cheese pie which she topped with mashed potato. She still makes it a few times a year. :)

What was your favorite meal that either your mom or dad made as a child when you were growing up?

I was brought up in a Polish family and still to this day pierogi are my favorite, but now that I am old I am the one who makes them and it is such a pain in the butt -__-
I really loved when my mom made us rice or corn porridge (not cornmeal, but corn porridge). I don't quite know how she got it to come out so delicious - was milky and tasty from the hidden ingredients that only a few of us knew about. Even talking about it now makes me want to have some:)

Back
Top Bottom